Bench Vise

I think for a home shop, nearly any vise is ok. That's all I've ever owned and I've never broken one. The Yost are pretty good vises. I have one and a lower end Wilton. The main thing to watch for is for the jaws to line up when it is closed.

I have several vises that I've mounted on plywood so I can move them to different corners of my benches. I just use clamps to hold them to the benches. That way, I can take them off if I need a clear bench top.

I use vises for many things. Mostly, for holding things while doing small operations, like marking or filing. My favorite vise that I use the most is a Yost Multi-angle vise. I put soft jaws on it because I work a lot with aluminum. This vice can rotate to horizontal or verticle and is very useful. Not for pounding stuff.

multi angle vise.jpg vert vise.jpg

Thanks for your input everyone. I took the suggestion from a previous poster to check out Craigslist. I found a brand new old-stock (still in the stapled cardboard box) Wilton Tradesman 6 1/2 1765. Got it for $350. Just a little light surface rust on some of the casting from sitting in the box for so long.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The Charles Parker vises look like they are well made. Most of the CP vises on Ebay are missing the base/swivel and look pretty beat up, but I'll keep looking for a good one.
Which CP vise do you have, is it a #205? Does it have a model number? Are there more than one 4" vise model and did you buy it with the swivel base? Can you find replacement jaws?
Were you able to remove your jaws and tear it down? Thanks Mike.

I have a model 434-1/2. It has 4.5" jaws that still close precisely. It is made from cast ductile iron and opens to 5" or so. As you can see, the castings are massive but the machining is pretty precise. The handle, which is forged, has a spring that prevents it from dropping and pinching your hand. The leadscrew is a square thread that is the most precise I've seen on a vise. The vise came with a swiveling base; it locks with two shoes that push out against the base, much like the drum brakes on a car. It takes very little torque to lock the base.

IMG_3892.jpg IMG_3902.jpg

The jaws were made of "Jessops" tool steel and were replaceable by driving two pins out of each jaw. I have not been able to find new jaws so I'll have to make some when I need them.

The whole vise was taken apart and took an electrolytic bath to get rid of all the rust. Then I painted it Hammertone Blue, which was somewhat close to the original blue of the vise.

CRW_4317.jpg CRW_4320.jpg

There were a number of 4" Parker vises but I can't recall the numbers. Search for the vise thread on Garage Journal and you'll find the info there.

Nice work. That vise is a beast. I remember using the one at my job to hold Albrecht clamps. What a grip these vises have, with very little pressure
with the turn handle. I didn't know Parker was such a great vise. Sellers are asking a lot of money for these old vises. I suspect most people will pass
on $300-$500 for an old vise and just buy a Wilton., especially on Ebay, sight unseen. I would have to buy it one in person. Thanks for sharing.

I went with this one and it is working out well. Looks like the cheaper ones but actually made with ductile iron so jaw is stronger than the cheapies. Still very reasonable. Free shipping if you have prime is a real bonus too with a vise!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBL62HQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a very handy style. I find the rotating head really useful. I bought 8 of them at an auction years ago new in the box (Chinese), Sold 4 of them which more than covered my cost, and kept 4 of them. I've beat on them hard and have failed to hurt any of them. I have a nice big Wilton bullet, but I treat it much better. Mike

All,

Below are some closeups of the vice. It is some light surface rust. Gonna go over the whole thing with a wire wheel, spot prime, then paint with the Rustoleum Hammered Green...not the Verde green that looks like what Wilton uses, but the deep green closer to Grizzly green. Why? I have 2 quarts hanging around.

The paint on the front of the vise looks like it was 'runny' at one point. I have a feeling this thing was exposed to some aerosolized solvents somewhere. If I knew it was in this shape when I bought it I probably would have pushed for a further discount, but it was sealed up in its original box. It wasn't quite as good of a deal as I thought. I saved $180 versus what I could find a brand new one for, but whatever. I don't mind a little project and I already own the paint.

I took most of it apart and the ACME screw looks great. The grease looks a little dry near the front, but nice and oily towards the back. It operates just great, so I think this is all minor cosmetics.

20161226_210158.jpg 20161226_210220.jpg 20161226_210229.jpg

Thought I would share after pics of the vise! Came out pretty good. I have never had a nice vice like this. It is a real treat. Takes very very little force on the handle to really lock your item in. I am quite impressed. Very smooth movement too. Nice!

This is also mounted to my brand new work bench that I just got done painting.

20170210_190548_resized.jpg 20170210_190555_resized.jpg 20170210_190609_resized.jpg 20170210_190616_resized.jpg

Back