Best Dc Motor Controller

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Does any one out there use a DC motor controller you are happy with? If so what is the make and model?
I am asking because I am not entirely happy with the KB controller I used for my South Bend lathe project.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-new-south-bend-10k.30542/

It would need it to be reversible and be rated up to 1 HP. I have not seen much discussion on controllers so I think it would be helpful.
Robert

Last edited:
good old MC60 controllers are good OEM controllers, i believe they supply DC motors- somewhere around 2hp@95vdc

I like Dayton controllers, too. I have two of them that were bought with ratings to match the motors they serve, off of ebay. They are both reversible, have a speed pot and have been flawless in performance. Sorry, don't have the model numbers.

Those Dayton controllers sure are pricey. Do you know if they reverse the direction through the controller or just use a DPDT switch to switch the leads?
Robert

Those Dayton controllers sure are pricey. Do you know if they reverse the direction through the controller or just use a DPDT switch to switch the leads?
Robert
there is a reversing switch on the dayton controller

I converted my lathe to DC( $200 for the motor, $100 for the controller, best money I've spent on lathe tooling!), using a Minarik controller, they have some good utube vid tutorials on set up

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdlNZXEzy_UlBPHI8AIStNg

I bought my MM22300C from Galco, their customer service is excellent. They also have really good tutorials, especially for guys like me who didn't have a clue as to the what/how for the conversion.

Brian

Last edited:
minarik burn up easy.. not very forgiving

Brian-That is super helpful. After looking at that site, it sounds like a PWM contoller would be quieter and smoother than my SCR controller. They make a 4 quadrant regenerative drive that would work well.
Here's a dumb question. What if I scrapped this idea and went with a servo drive system? I don't know much about them.
R

Back