Beveling Pipe Chatter Issues

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
I have and atlas 10x54 lathe I use it a lot to bevel 5" sch40 pipe to practice welding. Recently I've been having chatter issues. I had a 3 jaw chick that was beat that I used to use. Now I have a 4 jaw that's in like new condition. My setup goes as follows. Put pipe in chick dial it in to less then .004. I set the compound to 37.5 degrees and move my tool holder perpendicular to my compound. I've tried it with compound facing forward or reverse with no change. Depending which way I face the compound I use the appropriate cutter that is hss 5% cobalt. Which has always worked fine before. This is one of the shorter pipes at 5.5" length I cannot get it to not chatter. Tried faster, slower, back gears and haven't had any luck. So I tried parting it off 1.5" from the chuck as I figured it was too much unsupported. HOLY COW it parts like butter now!!! So I know my machine is tight because before it would take me atleast an hour to part this constantly stalling the lathe and such. So I believe it is in my setup as I've beveled 10"+ lengths of pipe before no problem. Also I tried on center slightly above and below center with no luck. And please don't ask speeds. I can tell you what belt/pulley arrangements I tried aside from that I'm ignorant so far on calculating all that stuff. Thanks for any help and if there's anything you need to help me let me know.

Regards-Carlo

When you are out that far with your piece use a steady rest, remember you have a small lathe you are working with. Also your spindle bearings could be a little loose

I don't have a steady rest and I don't believe they make one that'll hold something this size. I need to just build my own steady rests they're quite expensive.

Regards-Carlo

Carlo, are you saying you have put a bevel on a 5” pipe sticking out 10” from the chuck on a 10” lathe? If you can do that, you are very good indeed. As to your problem, what did you change, did you change chucks then have a problem?...Dave.

Carlo, are you saying you have put a bevel on a 5” pipe sticking out 10” from the chuck on a 10” lathe? If you can do that, you are very good indeed. As to your problem, what did you change, did you change chucks then have a problem?...Dave.
5" pipe on a 10" swing only using 10" +chuck on a 54" bed. What is that so hard?

OP, you may need to center the outside of you part as you adjust the chuck. It would be easy to push the work of the Chuck of your holding it from the inside.

Yeah I changed from a 5" 3 jaw to a 6" 4 jaw I may try the 3 jaw again and see if it helps. I can't think of a reason why it would though.

Regards-Carlo

While some may argue that too much is hanging out of the chuck, and that is possible, only you know whether you have done it before successfully. You mentioned changing to a 4 jaw. Are the jaws the same length, allowing the same or more gripping length on the pipe? Of course, as you probably realize, the more unsupported length you are working with, the more likely you are to experience chatter. A small (very small) tool radius may help some. If you can turn a close fitting plug to fit inside the pipe where you are chucking, you could apply considerable force to hold it. That also may help.

While some may argue that too much is hanging out of the chuck, and that is possible, only you know whether you have done it before successfully. You mentioned changing to a 4 jaw. Are the jaws the same length, allowing the same or more gripping length on the pipe? Of course, as you probably realize, the more unsupported length you are working with, the more likely you are to experience chatter. A small (very small) tool radius may help some. If you can turn a close fitting plug to fit inside the pipe where you are chucking, you could apply considerable force to hold it. That also may help.
I hadn't thought about that. I did turn a center for the end to support it in initial plunge when parting as before I was having serious issues. Now parting is like cutting butter. So I suppose I need to figure it my chatter. Could I just part it into 1.75" pieces to bevel. Of course I could but what's the fun in that. Also doing it that way I constantly have to flip and indicate the pipe in my way I bevel the end. Part it off and mount the beveled edge against the chuck and I only have to bevel one side after indicating.

Regards-Carlo

If I was to do this job. I would make two plugs to fit each end of the pipe. One plug would have a center in it for tailstock support. The other plug would go in the other end of the pipe and prevent the chuck jaws from distorting the pipe and have the pipe come loose from the chuck. Maybe put a step on the plugs so the plugs catch on the ends of the pipe. I would use a sharp pointed tool bit. Any kind of radius adds to the tool pressure which can cause your chatter. If you have any high density plastic, I think even that would work for the material to make your plugs. I have a 14” lathe, and I could not just put a 5” pipe sticking out 10” and bevel the end. Without first adding support or something. The pipe would fly out of the chuck jaws at first contact with the tool bit. I could not apply proper clamping pressure because the pipe would continue to crush/distort…Dave.

Carlo,

You say you parted the 5" pipe okay 1-1/2" from the chuck. Did you try beveling that short piece to see if you have chatter like you do with 10" overhang?

Tom

Back