Bought me a Plasma Cutter!

rbertalotto

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My birthday is next week so I figured I needed to buy me a present!

I've wanted a plasma cutter for some time now, but being a hobbiest, I didn't want to spend $1000. Kept looking in Craigslist, but owners wanting to sell used Plasma cutters are very proud of them!

This unit on Amazon get great reviews on the welding forums so I figured i'd give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052OX876/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lotos LTP5000D Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter, 110V/220V $464.00 delivered.

It has "Pilot Arc" so you don't need to clean rusted or painted metal. It is available without Pilot Arc but you only save a few $$.

Looking forward to using it on a project I have coming up.

71Yya0jQYqL._SL1023_.jpg

71Yya0jQYqL._SL1023_.jpg

71Yya0jQYqL._SL1023_.jpg

Pilot arc is a must, in my opinion. Good luck with your new purchase.

Just a small word of caution on the Chinese plasma cutters. They work fine for manual cutting, but don't even think about trying to use one for a cnc plasma table. You'll have nothing but grief. For manual work they're great.

Oh...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Congrats on your birthday / present.

I've had one of those (from a different supplier) for a few years.
Its always worked just fine.

regards,
Leon

I have been wanting to get one of those for myself. That looks like a pretty good one for the money.
Let us know how well it holds up and what kind of cuts it can do.

Looks like a good purchase, please post some videos and your review.
I have been looking for one for my auto repair business.

You should go to the Hypertherm site and get some training on stand off and piercing operations so your consumable last a reasonable amount of time. Also insure that your air supply is clean and moisture free, again that has a direct negative effect on consumables which will wear quickly enough if taken proper care of from the beginning. The Hypertherm site is free and Jim Colt is a living breathing encyclopedia of plasma cutter knowledge too. Hope this helps get you started.

Bob

I have a Hypertherm 45, and wow is it ever the handiest thing! A lot of what I do is fabricating and the machining is just one part of the job and plasma cutting is another as well as welding. Not everything we build is a helicopter or a space shuttle and the time savings of the plasma cutter is huge, especially if it's aluminum or stainless. I wish I coulda had one years ago!

Back