Bridgeport Pancake Motor Teardown (lots of pics)

Buzsaw

Registered
Registered
This is my first post on this site and would like to share my experience. This motor is like no other one I have ever taken apart, once I figured out how it was put together I was able to get it apart. This motor was from a J head I picked up for parts, my guess is it was probably from the 50's. I wanted to clean it up and repack the bearings. The bearings in this motor are double row bearings on the shaft end this is a well built motor. Looking at the photos should help anyone that wants to rebuild theres and make sense of how it goes together. There are plugs on the top and bottom of the motor that can be removed to grease the bearings once the motor cover is removed this can be tried to quiet down a noisy bearing if you are unable or do not want to disassemble the motor.

DSC_5293.JPG DSC_5295.JPG DSC_5297.JPG DSC_5303.JPG DSC_5304.JPG DSC_5306.JPG DSC_5454.JPG DSC_5458.JPG DSC_5460.JPG

So, are you going to put it to work? These things if taken care of will last for ever. I am glad you cleaned it up.

It was an extra so I just sold it to help pay for my lathe.. I have the newer 1 hp on my Bridgeport that one I cleaned up also and used Kluber grease in the bearings. Runs very quiet..

Anything special about Kluber grease. I haven't heard of it.

Just do a search on it, some people use it on spindles for even faster speeds. Check it out, over kill on my motor but I had some left.:))

Good post. I am about to do this.
I have a '78 BP w/ a 1 hp motor. My son and I are refurbishing the gearbox, belt housing and motor this and next month. Lots of crud.
Had to order a few tools I didn't have, like an adjustable hook spanner, pin wrench and inside bearing puller, which will be here next week.
Let me know if anyone has some parts available. Missing a handle, and need a few other small, miscellaneous pieces.
Thanks.

BTW, the gear box uses the expensive angular contact bearings. The rebuild book says to clean and reinstall. Does everyone else agree, or should I bite the bullet and replace? I'd like a pretty quiet running BP.

Good post. I am about to do this.
I have a '78 BP w/ a 1 hp motor. My son and I are refurbishing the gearbox, belt housing and motor this and next month. Lots of crud.
Had to order a few tools I didn't have, like an adjustable hook spanner, pin wrench and inside bearing puller, which will be here next week.
Let me know if anyone has some parts available. Missing a handle, and need a few other small, miscellaneous pieces.
Thanks.

BTW, the gear box uses the expensive angular contact bearings. The rebuild book says to clean and reinstall. Does everyone else agree, or should I bite the bullet and replace? I'd like a pretty quiet running BP.

:thinking:= taper roller bearings? :think1:

Good thought. I don't know enough to know if they can be used instead.

If anyone can use it, I have a motor just like this one (1HP, 220/440). The shaft doesn't turn, which is a bad sign. Free for the hauling.

You know, I think the angular bearings are a non-issue. The H&W rebuild kit is $100, including the bearings. So, they must have figured it out. I'll just buy that.

Back