Brown & Sharpe Surface Gauge

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I rescued this today , a B & S surface gauge. It is tiny, only about 5" tall. I am unsure what the other device is on the riser. Could someone help me out ? The tool bit in the pic is 3/8" square, for reference. Its sitting on top of my friend's tailstock.

Thanks, Tom
IMG_20160621_173329.jpg

Hi Tom,
nice save!
the first tool going up the mast is a scribe,
the second tool is used in conjunction with a dial indicator to indirectly indicate holes that a dial indicator may not fit into.
it could also be used to indirectly indicate the od of cylindrical objects as well, if the need arises as well- with a little forethought.

Hi Tom,
nice save!
the first tool going up the mast is a scribe,
the second tool is used in conjunction with a dial indicator to indirectly indicate holes that a dial indicator may not fit into.
it could also be used to indirectly indicate the od of cylindrical objects as well, if the need arises as well- with a little forethought.

That arm looks to be used with a back plunge indicator, not sure how a normal indicator would mount without the "L" shaped part to hold the 3/8" stem.

I picked up a larger B&S surface gauge some time in the last year. Just the base (magnetic) and the mast. Your photo will be useful when I get around to making the missing pieces.

I picked up a larger B&S surface gauge some time in the last year. Just the base (magnetic) and the mast. Your photo will be useful when I get around to making the missing pieces.

Same here, that picture's excellent, thank you

Back