Building the Stevens Favorite

tom what is a cats head and what is it used for?
nice smooth finish
steve

Steve,

A cat head is used to hold a gun barrel in the spindle of a lathe so it's supported at both ends. It is basically just a collar with four sets screws that make point contact on the barrel. The screws support the barrel without risk of deflection that a chuck or collet might cause on such a long part.

Tom

Thanks Tony.

I just couldn't get it locally and didn't want to wait to order one. Besides, they are surprisingly easy to make.

Tom

Yeah, a 32 tpi is pretty shallow, so it doesn't have to take much stress. If I'm doing my own work, I don't mind going extra to do things like that, making cutters, but for paying work, I figure it into the cost and usually have time to order it in. That way I don't have to think too much about whether the shop built cutter will perform as needed. Plus most of my work is in expensive tough materials, and I can't risk too much.

If I'm doing my own work, I don't mind going extra to do things like that, making cutters, but for paying work, I figure it into the cost and usually have time to order it in. That way I don't have to think too much about whether the shop built cutter will perform as needed. Plus most of my work is in expensive tough materials, and I can't risk too much.

Same here Tony. I would never consider making a cutter for a paying job, other than an occasional form cutter. Time is definitely money when profit is involved.

Tom

HMMM --- After seeing that drill I can't believe I worries about drilling a 5mm hole 6 inches deep. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

HMMM --- After seeing that drill I can't believe I worries about drilling a 5mm hole 6 inches deep. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

Yeah Bill, it's pretty scary. I'll be impressed if it makes it out of the far end of the barrel, let alone on center. :scared:

Tom

I've seen conventional gun drilling machines hold 0.0005/inch of drift. They always counter-rotate the drill at half speed of the work. Makes for a pretty straight hole.

TomG A few weeks ago I 'told' the guys on Home Gunsmithing forum about your Stevens Favorite build thread..Wanted the guys to see a very well documented build ..This thread of yours is just exceptionally well presented..

Back