Bummed Out Newb On My First Mill Purchase Gone Bad

I have the RF 30 Mill/Drill and am happy with it. Just have to realize it doesn't have the versatility of a Knee Mill. The first one has a table feed so that's something to consider. That could add as much as $300 to the cost of the new RF 30 from HF. You should also consider repeat-ability when you raise or lower the head. You may find yourself having to dial in again if your work is critical, that applies to either machine.

All that taken into consideration, as I said I'm happy with the mill. It fits my small shop/shed and does what I want.

Unfortunately after several attempts since to contact the seller (he leaves me hanging for days at a time) and pick up the mill (no show on agreed day and time), I've given up and asked for a refund and he agreed.

Did you get the money back yet?

Did you get the money back yet?
No. Not yet.
He claimed to be out of town on a job Friday (the day I was supposed to get the mill). Then he asked for my name and bank to transfer the money back to me. On Saturday he said the transfer was completed and asked for my email to send me a transfer confirmation and receipt. Now it's Sunday night and nothing has shown up in my account. NOT SURPRISED!!!!!

I have a feeling he probably spent the money and now is scrambling because i want my money back. I'm not sure if things are delayed because of the weekend and will give him till tomorrow. Then I guess I'll have to call the authorities or something.

Of course my son checks the mugshot websites after I bought the mill and finds this guy with a record........ grand theft, felony battery, robbery

Just my luck!

Now I see he's got the mill up on for sale @$1150 that's $450 more than I paid for it! What a scammer......

Last edited:
I don't pay any individual money for a major purchase unless I'm picking it up right there on the spot in person. Period! Better make sure he's not draining your bank account of more money! Get the local authorities involved, too. Especially since you son said he has a record!

I don't pay any individual money for a major purchase unless I'm picking it up right there on the spot in person. Period! Better make sure he's not draining your bank account of more money! Get the local authorities involved, too. Especially since you son said he has a record!
Normally I wouldn't. But it's 2200 lbs and I wasn't ready to transport it at 8pm that night and didn't want to lose the mill to another buyer.

Looks like time for small claims court- Sorry to hear that, I bought a small horizontal mill under the same circumstances, had to pick it up 3 full weeks later, worked out fine.
Mark S.

If you've got a bill of sale I'd consult a lawyer. Provided you didn't sign away your rights you may be able to show up with a sheriff's deputy and claim the mill. I'm not a lawyer and I certainly don't know Florida law but I'm pretty sure such a thing would be possible in my state.

You would be fine with either of the two mills you have linked. I had one of the HF model for a few years and did more than I thought I would be able to on it. You just have to learn its limitations and work within them.

Everyone has an opinion on how you should handle this but if it was me and if you have your signed receipt, I'd go to the sheriff's office and ask if a deputy could accompany you to pick up the mill. Before you do that maybe call the sheriff's office and see if they will drive to the place of business just to let them know that you aren't going to let this go.

Now that the seller has your routing and bank account number; I'd be concerned that he might try to loot your bank account. At the least I call the manager at your bank to see how to protect your account(s).

Everyone has an opinion on how you should handle this but if it was me and if you have your signed receipt, I'd go to the sheriff's office and ask if a deputy could accompany you to pick up the mill. Before you do that maybe call the sheriff's office and see if they will drive to the place of business just to let them know that you aren't going to let this go.

Now that the seller has your routing and bank account number; I'd be concerned that he might try to loot your bank account. At the least I call the manager at your bank to see how to protect your account(s).
Yeah I called the bank 3 days ago and they said "we don't process transactions over the weekend". So I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to see if my refund shows up. So if it doesn't appear in my acct. tomorrow then I'll be going to the police department and let them know whats going on. Such a hassle.........

Back