California Air Tools Compressor?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a large capacity, stationary 80 gallon tank air compressor in my shop. While it is a hoss, It is terribly loud and requires hearing protection when it runs.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a small, quiet compressor for the air needs for my mill and lathe (power drawbar, Fogbuster, air nozzle, . . . ). I ran across the California Air Tools compressors and took note.

I am considering one that is light and portable with aluminum hot dog tank(s). They do make some larger tank models with steel tanks but they make several models with aluminum tanks and this is the one I've had my eye on. It is 1 hp, 4 cfm at 40 psig, 60 db, 4.6 gallon, 44 lbs. (Model 4610ALFC)

Any folks out there that have experience with them?

1512768786324.png

I ended up getting one of those. Only run the mister and blow off machines. Fine for that.

I have the vertical model. I bought it because they are quiet. It will run the tool changer on mill plus mister so I am happy. They do run hot if run near continiously, in those situations I help cool it with a simple clamp on 5" fan meant for desk use in an office, seems to work fine. The model is 10020C, 2 hp, runs on a 20 amp circuit no problems.

Last edited:
I ended up getting one of those. Only run the mister and blow off machines. Fine for that.
They assemble these in San Diego. I think the aluminum tanks are made in Mexico.

Any idea where the pumps are made? Here's an interesting youtube of a few of the details of their pump. I believe the pump shown is what they call their "industrial" pump. I have tried to call them today without any luck but have sent them an inquiry via webmail on their website.

Correction, I have the 4610AC. Not sure the difference but the 4610ALFC puts out more SCFM. For over 40% more in price I didn't think it was worth it for what I was planning on using it for. You can buy larger tanks too.
My motor is made in China. Pump and motor look to be a single unit. So far I'm happy wid it. Seems to be of decent quality.

Last edited:
Have a buddy that has one exactly like the one pictured, he likes it and uses it for smaller air demand.

I have a small vertical tank model, and it is real quiet.

I have been considering buying one. I'd be really interested in your experiences before investing $$$. The claim is very quiet. Is this claim true?

Oh yeah. You won't be disappointed about that.

Back