Can This Motor Rotation Be Reversed?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not sure if you elec gurus need more data.
Please let me know.
She powers my Whipp shaper.
While I'm getting a nice finish. I'm told it would even be a better finish if I change the rotation.
Currently it cuts faster than she retracts.
Shes wired for 220v 1ph.

Thank you!
Daryl
MNIMG_1100 (2).JPG

It looks like you would have to go inside and bring out the start windings to reverse that motor.

I'm not sure reversing the rotation would change the forward/reverse stroke speed on a shaper. Try rolling it through by hand and see if that actually does it. It's been about 45 years since I've had my hands on a shaper, but I'm remembering that is a function of the mechanics.

Reversing motor rotation on a shaper will in fact change the forward/reverse stroke speed (at least it did on mine). I reversed mine by turning the motor around and driving the left end of the jack shaft instead of the right end. My set-up just happened to have enough shaft length to do that.
Another option is to disassemble the motor and turn the stator end for end. You just need to make sure that when you do this that the rotor bars still align with the stator bars as they did before the stator reversal.

Ted

It looks like you would have to go inside and bring out the start windings to reverse that motor.

I'm not sure reversing the rotation would change the forward/reverse stroke speed on a shaper. Try rolling it through by hand and see if that actually does it. It's been about 45 years since I've had my hands on a shaper, but I'm remembering that is a function of the mechanics.
Reversing the rotation will change the forward/reverse stroke speed on a shaper if it uses a Whitworth linkage as most do. Here's a link: http://www.robotpark.com/academy/specialized-mechanisms-whitworth-quick-return-mechanism-51029/

Thank you all.
Very helpful.
Especially the animation link!
Now.... how do I make the change? Or, is there an additional way to adjust the ram/stroke.
Thinking???

Daryl
MN

If I'm following this correctly, is the object of reversal to get a fast cut stroke and slow return? If so, wouldn't that decrease the power available to push the cutting tool?

If I'm following this correctly, is the object of reversal to get a fast cut stroke and slow return? If so, wouldn't that decrease the power available to push the cutting tool?
You are right about the power loss ----that is why Daryl is wanting to reverse to get a slower cutting stroke and faster return---Dave

Thank you all.
Very helpful.
Especially the animation link!
Now.... how do I make the change? Or, is there an additional way to adjust the ram/stroke.
Thinking???

Daryl
MN
Daryl---I would look for another motor with the correct rotation or a reversible rotation motor to solve your problem---do you know what the correct rpm to the shaper is---if not--you can speed it up or down with pulleys after you get the correct rotation---Dave

Daryl---I would look for another motor with the correct rotation or a reversible rotation motor to solve your problem---do you know what the correct rpm to the shaper is---if not--you can speed it up or down with pulleys after you get the correct rotation---Dave

Dave Smith, thank you for your ongoing mentorship!
Given the animations, I spent some more time with her today. Turning her over by hand and watching the motion of the scotch yoke. Forward/Reverse interesting stuff!
This motor has V belts which drive a 4 speed transmission. You may recall the the two step flat belt pulley I turned to drive the flat belt on the shaper. A jack shaft isn't going to fit well. With HM threads help I've learned to replace motor bearings, I'm insecure about trying to flip the stator.

A new motor is likely the better option.
She makes for a nice finish as is. However, the idea that it might do even better is great.
The downside is that I've got a lead on a GE universal, if she has the power down-feed clapper it might be hard to turn down.
Which means I might make this one available.
Regardless, I want to get the stroke right!!

Daryl
MN

Back