Can you guess the manufacturer of this depth micrometer?

The real question to entertain is whether or not you need a depth mic. I have a really nice Mitutoyo depth mic set and have used it maybe twice in the last 10 years. Most of the time I use a depth base on the end of my dial caliper or sometimes a Mitutoyo dial depth gauge. The depth mic set mostly sits. Just food for thought.

There goes that four letter word again. :angry no: Tools are all about WANT not need. :dollars:

,just trying to get get a sense of tool prices on ebay.
To hell with the prices on eBay or anywhere else. Decide what it is worth to YOU and don't pay a penny more than that. The amount you decide it is worth is subject to change, up or down, depending on 'need,' future projects waiting or abandoned, how the finances are doing, and whether your whims for it are currently getting warmer or colder. Remember always that hobby stuff is all wants, not needs...

Lol, great comments so far,want vs need,hah,hah, Bob, Mikey, Kd4, you're all right but in my case, I want because I need.;)

I can understand why some hobbyists like to collect precision measuring instruments for the sake of owning them. whether it's their refinement or rarity, something pulls a person to to buy these fine tools but for me right now the objective is,functionality , I usually ask myself, can I use them for my future projects? is it within my budget? if the answer to both is yes ,then that's the tool I want.

As far as wanting a depth micrometer, well ,there has been a couple of occasions when I wished I had a proper depth micrometer but in general I usually manage to measure depth using my dial callipers but if I buy one it will be in a better condition than the Lufkin in my first post .

Thank you all again for chiming in ,I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments.

Last edited:
The real question to entertain is whether or not you need a depth mic. I have a really nice Mitutoyo depth mic set and have used it maybe twice in the last 10 years. Most of the time I use a depth base on the end of my dial caliper or sometimes a Mitutoyo dial depth gauge. The depth mic set mostly sits. Just food for thought.
I have my dads B & S 0-3" depth mic I use the most. Like you said, It only gets used a couple times a year. Very seldom do I use it for anything else deeper than 1". I have a brand new Starrett 0-6" digit depth mic I bought off of a inspector that took pride in his measuring equipment. I don't think I've ever used it since I bought it, almost 20 years ago! No, it's not for sale.:grin:

I can understand the want vs need thing but a depth mic is one of those tools that should really be a need before you spring for one. I have mine because I thought I might need it one day and I did, on one or two days in the past. With care, I could have done without it on those days. I won't argue that they are not useful but I can think of a lot of other tools that a newish hobby guy might want to have before buying one.

Years ago when I worked in a machine shop I had a 0-3" Starrett depth mike, but I eventually sold it when I figured that I no longer needed it. Years later when I got into this hobby I bought a 0-6" Scherr-Tumico depth mike when the need arose. I use it occasionally, but rarely more than a couple of times per year. Sure is nice to have when I need it though!

I just sold my Starrett 449 0-6" depth mic. I thought I would use it more often than I did and I wanted to know what this tool was all about, to learn how to use one, calibrate it. I found out that they are all .001"., that they need constant calibration with gage blocks, usually the expensive ones with holes in the center and a good surface plate. DM's are great if you cut a lot V's or need precise holes to depth, countersunk holes for fasteners, etc..
But there are other ways to check if you don't need .001" , which is all a DM can measure anyway.

For what I do and only .001" accuracy, I get by with my calipers depth base attachment. I like the Mitutuyo digital DM, but very pricey.
Many of the depth mics on Ebay are not calibrated, some are missing parts or are shot to hell. The new ones come calibrated from the factory.
Repairs are north of $140. Things to keep in mind before purchase.

Last edited:
I have a Starrett 445 set, 0-3", which came with an extra set of rods from 0-9", which are all new and unused in the original packaging (and no doubt not calibrated.) I started calibrating the set, and by the time I had the original 0-3" rods calibrated to my satisfaction, I was about done for the day. The others can wait until the off chance I might need them someday. The other issue with depth mics it that it is not really easy to get accurate results with them. It takes care and practice, and good "feel" to make sure the base is not lifting off the work. The 40 pitch thread makes it a very good jack. Trying to measure tenths with a depth mic, accurately, in real world situations, would be sheer folly for most machinists --IMO. I use the set a few times a year...

I also have a Starrett 463 mic head (0-.500") that is mounted to an accessory 2 1/2" length depth mic base. That is my go to depth measuring tool for many odd jobs, and I use it fairly often.

If I ever need to get one, this depth gage seems to be more useful for me and for what I do,the Starrett No. 237 - 6 Inch Depth Gauge it is fully manual,and I can see the numbers on the it lol:
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back