Can't Get Rotary Table To Turn -- Help

yooper

Registered
Registered
I have a Phase II 10 inch rotary table. When I first got it it worked just fine. Now that I haven't used in a couple of months, I need it to make a part, and can't get it to turn with the handle.

Is the handle frozen or freewheeling? The mechanism is quite simple, basically a
worm gear drive system. It is possible to disengage the worm by loosening a screw
and rotating the worm to disengagement. There are two locks that hold the table
when machining, they need to be loose for the table to rotate. That's about it unless
it is rusty or possibly dropped.

Last edited:
We assume the lock has been released. :grin:

Can't tell if this is a new or vintage table. I've had older equipment seem to lock up and after dis-assembly, turn out to be nothing more than oxidized grease. Great amounts of penetrating oil may get it to loosen up for awhile, but the old grease eventually has to be removed by hand.

Good luck.

The locks are loose, it is a newer rotab. May have been dropped, but not by me. It is locked up tight. must be the worm that is locked up.

The locks are loose, it is a newer rotab. May have been dropped, but not by me. It is locked up tight. must be the worm that is locked up.

Try loosening the worm retaining screw and rotating the worm away from the gear. On Mine you turn the worm mechanism clockwise to disengage. Can you do that?
Then the wheel is free to rotate and so is the table for that matter if the locks are free.

Are there a couple of handles on the sides of the rotary table that are tightened to prevent rotation while you are machining? Loosen them if so. We need pictures at least to help diagnose.

I bet it's rusted in place or seized from lack of lube try spraying some penetrating oil in all openings ,slots between table . Anywhere you can get some into the shafts , try working it back and forth slowly don't overpower it , or dissemble it .then you can find what's going on with it.Hey if all else fails send it to me I'll try to fixit just pay the freight to me and back to you. With a ph number take a day or so long as it don't need any parts.

Last edited:
Back