Car Repairs You Should Definitely Avoid

Just think cars like that are on the road next to you . Brakes what brakes, that is what the hole in the floorboard are for.

they guy brought the car in was so rusted out the floor was gone.

I can remember in my very young age, riding in some of the old oilfield trucks grand dad operated. We watched the road go by looking thru the floor of the truck!

And brakes on those old trucks, they didn't get changed out until the squeal got too loud to stand! Or the highway patrol stopped you first!

problem was there were not any in our area, except in the next town one day a month when they did driver license testing and issuance. Thus if they had a way to go and somewhat stop they would doit out on the country roads. Well the cops would almost let them get by in town as well if they stayed off the highway which was the main street in town. one old guy brought in one of his old trucks one day and said fix it so that I would pass inspection so that he could drive it on the highway as he needed to make runs to the next town, (14 miles away but the town with the Highway patrol occasionally) I told him it would almost be cheeper to buy a new one. But he was one of these that would repair it if it cost 5 dollars less that a new one.

I used to drive a Jeep. It got so rusted out, on a few occasions I saw something I wanted on the road (bungie cord, screwdriver, etc) and I was able to straddle the object and reach through where the floor was supposed to be to pick it up. I pulled the body off and replaced it with a fiberglass tub.

I lost the brakes on that Jeep so often I lost count. The double reservoirs on top of the master cylinder meant nothing. If one wheel had a problem, the whole braking system went down.

I lost a rear wheel on that Jeep going around a corner. The two piece rear axle separated, and The wheel and larger portion of the axle crossed a bus stop where kids had been picked up a few minutes before, and crashed through a garage door. Luckily the garage was empty as the owner was preparing to tear it down.

But the reason I don't drive that vehicle today is because the plates that held the steering box to the frame buckled while I was going around a rotary in a Massachusetts city at noon on a weekday a few years ago. I completely lost steering. Nobody got hit, and I was able to stop and get towed OK (irritating a lot of people but not harming them), but it was so frightening I've not moved the Jeep since the tow truck dropped it in my driveway.

Sometimes I miss it, especially in the winter- I live in New Hampshire, and I loved being able to help people by pulling them out of the snow. I miss being able to go anywhere anytime. I don't miss living from one calamity to the next.

-Ed

A friends father had his truck break in half on the lift. He sued the garage and won. He got the value of the truck

There's a reddit thread for shop mechanics caled "justrolledintotheshop". You'll see a lot of this kind of thing there, including a few folded trucks. According to what I've read there, it could be the mechanic's fault for not lifting it properly. Scary thought eh? I bought an old Dodge Dakota Sport once where the owner fixed a failed headlight switch, by cutting all the lights loose from the harness, and running his own wiring and switches for low/high beam. He told me he was an electrical engineer! LOL As if anyone would believe that after seeing his work, but it held me over until I got something better. :)

Back