Cheap And Effective Tool Lights

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I wasn't real sure where to put this thread so move it if you see fit.

I recently purchased 2 of these "desk" lights at Lowes for use as machine tool lights. They are LED, light weight, bright and look great on machines. They have a weighted base model and a clip on. Hard to beat for $20. Check it out...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_62582-47842-17794-000_4294798229__?productId=3175567&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

022011611310.jpg

I also made a magnetic base for one.

Magnet is from a Microwave (free)
14%2B-%2B1.jpg

Base is a measuring cup (stolen from kitchen)
14%2B-%2B2.jpg

14%2B-%2B2.jpg

R

I have four of these around the shop but mine actually have a clamp base on them. Mine also came from lowes. They are nice and bright, small and the flex neck works well for positioning the output on the work.

Jim

I'm glad you concur. I think others will like these. Had any burn out yet?
R

Looks good. These seem to have become quite popular as I see a number of people using them. I guess they are the new "doubleboost light". :big grin:

Base is a measuring cup (stolen from kitchen)

Hope your wifey don't see that! But I do think it makes for better use as a base than a measuring cup.

I probably posted this before but... I have been using these sewing machine lights from eBay, about $12 + shipping. They have a built in switch but you need to add a plug. Some of the dealers will give you a deal on shipping if you buy more than one. I have 3 installed in my shop, and my wife now has 2 in her sewing room.
SewingLamp.jpg

I have the small Ikea clamp on one, good for small spot, but I have found it does not stay put real well. The neck is not as good as the others, thus the thing keeps moving from any vibration etc.

I've tried about a half dozen different lamps to light my mill. I have a couple of those Lowes desk lamps and they are pretty good, making a good broad light pattern with very soft shadows. The disadvantage I've found is their size can get in the way. I found a very nice LED lamp at Frys that I think is the perfect machine light. It is about $20 and comes with a very good clip and is much smaller than the other desk lamp.

I modified mine by removing the clip (which is a good clip if you have something to clip it to) and making an adapter from a section of 1-inch aluminum square tube to attach it to a round magnet base I found at Harbor Freight (cheap). The gooseneck is very good, holding any position you place, and the light is a good soft shadowed and bright light source that doesn't get hot. The lamp head is small enough to hang down in the front of my mill and not obscure my vision or get in the way. After much trial, this is the best machine light I been able to find.

I'm new to the forum, so I can't post pictures yet, but here is a link to the lamp sold on Amazon.

Newhouse Lighting NHCLP-LED-BLK 3-watt Energy-efficient Clamp LED Lamp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIYJXAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a couple of the Ikea lights's about a year old. Thay arn't as bright as thay where new.

Not to gang up on Ikea, but the Jansjo lamps don't stay in position that well. I like them on the lathe, but the X2 will probably be getting some kind of ring light.

Back