Cheap Rotary Table Dividing Plates

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a cheap 3" Chinese rotary table and thought I would play around with making dividing plates for it. The ratio is 36 to 1 so playing with the numbers a little a made a 3 1/2 " plate with 28 and 15 holes and mounted it on the RT and made a spring loaded pin mounted to a handle. That seems to work okay. Then made some sector arms from black acrylic. Mounted it in the mill vise and did a test to see if it really works. Just cut a hexagon using the holes in the plate and it was good:big grin:
This was just a proto type and may actually make a better one now that I know it will work.

rotary.jpgrotary1.jpg

I have a cheap 3" Chinese rotary table and thought I would play around with making dividing plates for it. The ratio is 36 to 1 so playing with the numbers a little a made a 3 1/2 " plate with 28 and 15 holes and mounted it on the RT and made a spring loaded pin mounted to a handle. That seems to work okay. Then made some sector arms from black acrylic. Mounted it in the mill vise and did a test to see if it really works. Just cut a hexagon using the holes in the plate and it was good:big grin:
This was just a proto type and may actually make a better one now that I know it will work.

View attachment 246867View attachment 246868
John, I also have a 3616 to which I have added DRO pro magnetic scales and digital display on x. y, and z axis. I needed to make some metric change gears for my south bend but did not have the needed number plates for my rotary table so I made some new ones on the mill using my dro built in programs for bolt circles, worked great and the gears came out perfectly. I would be interested to know what changes/mods you have done to your 3616 == Jack Coffman

Jack, I really haven't done much to the mill other than DRO (glass) also on x,y,z[Thanks to you for the pictures of your install) I really like the bolt circle function of the DRO--very easy to use.
I use the 3616 much more than my lathe and have been happy with it.

Jack, I did add another (better?) quill stop and added a igaging dro for it. Just a piece of 5/8" aluminum clamped on the bottom with a 3/8 all thread rod and a positive stop for the quick adjust nut.
Also a round led light mounted under the aluminum piece.

quill stop.jpg

Back