Chips Managment.

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
So the current project I'm working on is that 6" 4 jaw chuck back plate. I did slow the lathe right down. Running about 300 rpm with a big 1/2" carbide cutter.
The curly chips just kind of roll off the cross slide down the carriage and bounce onto the garage floor. Then usually get imbedded into the souls of my shoes (then usually dragged through the house, to my wife's delight) what are some of the ideas you guys have to manage the chips? I keep having to vacuum them off the floor.

Hi Hukshawn that seams to be a problem with a lot of people here ,every body has there own solution what I do is continuously sweep the floor ,keep my chip try clean I use a dust pan and whisk broom and constantly sweep up chips and for my shoes I use a wire brush can't stand the feel of walking on chips,hope this helps. Rick

I use two magnetic sweeps - a small one that gets into tight spots and a larger one with wheels (plus a broom and shop vac). The magnetic sweeps never cease to amaze me by how much crap they pick up. I also have a pair of slip on shoes and a shop coat at the door that I put on when I go in and take off when I leave. Not real convenient but it solved the chips in the house issue.

John

I use the thick rubber anti-fatigue mats. The kind with a lot of big holes all the way through. This gives a place for the chips to fall through. You can also wipe your shoes on the mat every now and then to pull off some of them.

See, all of these are fantastic ideas. Excellent.
I have the tiny magnetic slide tool to pick up chips off the bench but it's just too time consuming for the floor. The bigger ones are fairly inexpensive. We have a store here called princess auto, I believe very similar to harbour freight. In fact, I believe tools and machinery are made in the same Chinese factories, just different labels. They have all of these things, cheap.

Chips? Its called man glitter:grin:.
I have anti fatigue mats , but they are a pain in there own way when sweeping.
Martin

Having lived in Asia, it seems natural to take my shoes off at the door when I enter the house. I just slip into another pair of "inside" shoes.

Some guys build a slat type platform to stand on. They claim that it helps with their foot and leg comfort because the slats have a little spring to them with the added bonus that chips fall through to the floor. I thought about building one but I know I'll step backwards and fall with disastrous results. Like DaveInMi, I just leave my garage/garden shoes at the door.

If not using flood coolant cardboard shields work well to deflect the chips into the pan. If pushing the cut hard enough that the chips will ignite the paperboard then use sheet steel or aluminum, polycarbonate also works well but the chips will melt into the surface when hot enough.

Used to cut up soda water cans and make chip deflectors out of them. Mount them on either on top or bottom of the tool in the Aloris tool holders.

Back