[Documentation] Cincinnati Traytop Hydra-shift Restoration

Jack, coming along great. That is gonna make you a real nice lathe.

I made some serious headway over the weekend and tonight. The lathe is completely painted now, and I have part of it reassembled. I have to re-install the lead screw, fill up the oils, as well as a few other odds and ends, and then it'll be ready to go.
Here is a photo on Sunday morning when I moved the lathe into my shop, since it is too cold to paint in the un-heated area of my barn. I made the cart to move a Bridgeport, but with a few clamps and some steel, it works great for a lathe also.
lathe27.jpg

Here is a before and after photo of the chip pan.
lathe26.jpg

With Wet Paint.
lathe28.jpg

I even removed the levelers and cleaned them up (they were a real mess)
lathe25.jpg

And here it is with the majority of the parts installed.
lathe30.jpg

Before I push it against the wall, I plan to install a DRO on it

Jack

Those are nice machines. It's been a long time, but I spent many hours on one just about like that one.

Those are nice machines. It's been a long time, but I spent many hours on one just about like that one.
Thanks,
The wiring blueprint that is in the electrical panel is dated 1959. I like all my machines to be newer than I am, and this one barely made it.
Jack

The machine is up and running and I'm loving it. Working on some feet for it now, and once they are done, I'll be able to move the machine against the wall. This video shows how easy it is to shift with the "Hydrashift".

My first project is to make some feet for the lathe to raise the lathe a couple inches to make room under the chip tray for a drawer cart that I have. This video shows a neat feature of the lathe, where you can engage the x and y to turn a taper (not customizable).

Here are two of the 6 feet that I'm making.
lathe040.jpg

Wow- you did that restoration lightening fast. Makes me feel like I'm moving slow as molasses on mine. Great job!

I still have a few small items to finish up, but the lathe is in it's final position and ready to roll!!!
I put the feet under it tonight and leveled it up. Sure is a good feeling to have all that work behind me.

Here are some photos of it in place.

Leveling it up.
lathe53.jpg

The new feet are in place.
lathe52.jpg

Ready to make chips!!
lathe50.jpg

lathe51.jpg

lathe54.jpg
Jack

That is a fine looking machine. Now I have another machine on my Craigslist watch list. Wonderful job bringing her back to life.

Back