Clausing 8520 Help

emasbury

Registered
Registered
Hey folks I have a Clausing 8520 milling machine and I need to do some lite face milling. My problem is I can not find a 2MT shell mill holder with a 2MT that has the 3/8 X 16 threaded end for the drawbar. Can any of you folks help, make suggestions or steer me in the right direction to find one? Or is there any way to adapt the 8520 to take an R8 collet? Thanks for you help

First, your 8520 will never fit an R8 collet, even if you make a brand new spindle, it is just too small.

Second, you might have better luck just using a fly cutter. For large work I use a 2MT end mill holder for a 3/4" end mill, then place a large fly cutter with a 3/4" shank in the end mill holder. Works like a charm for me. A face mill places a large load on the machine. A 2" face mill is about the biggest I would think the 8520 would handle, and that might even get a little dicey.

ON EDIT: I did manage to find a few 2MT shell mill/face mill arbors, some with tang end, and some for a drawbar. The problem with the ones meant for a drawbar is that they all are threaded for a 10 MM drawbar, not a 3/8"-16. I found suppliers in China and England that have them. Buying from England is very expensive, while buying from China is very inexpensive, but I have a hunch that the quality may suffer.

I bought a 2MT 1" stub milling arbor for slitting saws, etc., about a year ago for my 8520. Only place I could find one was England, and it cost me plenty. But, the quality is outstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, your 8520 will never fit an R8 collet, even if you make a brand new spindle, it is just too small.

Second, you might have better luck just using a fly cutter. For large work I use a 2MT end mill holder for a 3/4" end mill, then place a large fly cutter with a 3/4" shank in the end mill holder. Works like a charm for me. A face mill places a large load on the machine. A 2" face mill is about the biggest I would think the 8520 would handle, and that might even get a little dicey.

ON EDIT: I did manage to find a few 2MT shell mill/face mill arbors, some with tang end, and some for a drawbar. The problem with the ones meant for a drawbar is that they all are threaded for a 10 MM drawbar, not a 3/8"-16. I found suppliers in China and England that have them. Buying from England is very expensive, while buying from China is very inexpensive, but I have a hunch that the quality may suffer.

I bought a 2MT 1" stub milling arbor for slitting saws, etc., about a year ago for my 8520. Only place I could find one was England, and it cost me plenty. But, the quality is outstanding.
Thanks Terry your advice is greatly appreciated, I knew I could count on your help.

I just started using a fly cutter recently. I had them setting on the bench for a while but never ground a tool for them. I decided to try it one day & was very happy with the cut it made. I use the a face mill with brazed tips to take the scale off before begaing my work Then decided to try the fly cutter right after & was really impressed.

My first thought is to make an arbor. But it would be easer to make a draw bar for the 10mm arbor. Also as Terry said a flycutter should do just fine.

A question came up in a PM as to where in England I was able to source my 2MT arbor, so I thought I would come back here and post that information.

There were two companies that had the arbor available, 2MT shank, 1" keyed arbor, with 3/8"-16 drawbar thread. Both will ship worldwide. Prices include the VAT tax which they will remove for US customers. Shipping to the US will cost as much or more than the arbor, but sources for these things are very limited, they are they only suppliers that I found, period. Both vendors have a website as well as an eBay store.

The two suppliers that I found are:
Gloster Tooling in Gloucester England, http://www.glostertooling.co.uk ebay seller name is glostertooling and their ebay store name is Gloster Tooling
RDG Tools in Yorkshire England, www.rdgtools.co.uk ebay seller name is rdg355 and their ebay store name is RDGTOOLS CO UK

They sell them all over e-bay if you do a search. In fact, I just bought a 2" face mill for my 8520 tonight on e-bay. Now it's China crap but I'm not building anything to fly to Mars so it should be ok for me. Just search for "MT2 Face mill" and you'll find all kinds of stuff. Just remember, it's China so you get what you pay for, some barefoot 12 year old probably made it for $1 a day. ;) Like Terry said though, it may be "dicey" with a 2" face mill but I'm going to try it. Just light cuts.

I bought an ER40 collet chuck which included a D1-4 to fit my lathe spindle, from Gloster Tooling. Due to circumstances I was unable to use it until after the warranty ran out. I had presumed that Gloster Tooling was a quality store that I could rely on to sell a quality product so I wasn't worried that I hadn't checked it when I first bought it. My mistake. I discovered that the chuck had a large run out due apparently to the D1-4 taper being too shallow and as a result tightening the cams pulled it out of alignment with the lathe axis. I approached the owner of Gloster Tooling but he was adamant he wasn't going to replace it notwithstanding that I provided photos showing the chuck obviously had no use and was in perfect condition, thereby rendering the problem a manufacturing defect. He hid behind the warranty barrier, and I was left with an expensive anchor. His response was so cagey and unhelpful that I resolved to never purchase from him again. The chuck is hung on my workshop wall with a sign saying Gloster Tooling - Beware!

Back