Cleaning A New Mill?

wm460

Active User
Registered
I have just purchased a new Seig SX3L, I have started to un-crate it when I thought I would start clean it before it is in the shed. icon_biggrin.gif

My question is how to clean it, what do I have to dismantle?
Google and search is not my friend in this matter.:guilty:

I used mineral spirits. You will want to take pretty-much everything apart. There is cosmoline everywhere and you are also likely to find sand from the casting process still in some of the crevices. About the only thing you didn't need to take apart is the head assembly (but you will need to take it off the column.)

I used mineral spirits. You will want to take pretty-much everything apart. There is cosmoline everywhere and you are also likely to find sand from the casting process still in some of the crevices. About the only thing you didn't need to take apart is the head assembly (but you will need to take it off the column.)

I found WD40 to perform very well along with some scotch bright pads for any corrosion, or stains. A set of metric allen wrenches, metric wrenches, a soft face mallet, a couple of different files for cleaning up any burrs, and some screw drivers should get you going. The mill should have come with allen keys and wrenches for adjustments, but they are probably not very high quality. Taking the machine apart to clean is a great learning process and will familiarize you with the operation of the various assemblies. That way when something is not working right you will know whats happening. Congrats on the new machine and good luck.

All of this advice is based on the assumption that there is in fact a new machine. A final decision requires photographs of the machine cleaned up and in operation!

I found WD40 to perform very well along with some scotch bright pads for any corrosion, or stains. A set of metric allen wrenches, metric wrenches, a soft face mallet, a couple of different files for cleaning up any burrs, and some screw drivers should get you going. The mill should have come with allen keys and wrenches for adjustments, but they are probably not very high quality. Taking the machine apart to clean is a great learning process and will familiarize you with the operation of the various assemblies. That way when something is not working right you will know whats happening. Congrats on the new machine and good luck.

All of this advice is based on the assumption that there is in fact a new machine. A final decision requires photographs of the machine cleaned up and in operation!

Yes... the assumption there is a new (or new to the shop) machine is a figment of hope and imagination... without pictures... :grin:

the words "new"and "un crate" do give it away..
More then likely but it could have been created for transport. Or maybe he just like to box things back up & open them again to feel the "New Stuff!" excitement again. :p

I have bought so much stuff,I forget about it. When I stumble upon it again,it is almost like getting something new!! REALLY!!

Yes... the assumption there is a new (or new to the shop) machine is a figment of hope and imagination... without pictures... :grin:

P4051078.jpg

Here is a picture of my figment of hope and imagination:grin::grin:
The two boxes on spare wheel are bowl blanks, and legs and table top are an over 100 year old table that some one was going to dump.

Back