Close Call / Lesson Learned.

I was using the racheting arbor press at the skool this past Monday. It has a small 'v' that a pin fits in to keep the handle up but it's not all that great at retaining the handle up, especially after I made a handle for it out of 1 1/2" x 18" long crs, they were using a collet closer from a lathe. I used the handwheel to bring the ram up to wipe off the face and jiggled it enough for the handle pin to dislodge from the v and it crashed into my melon. I cursed my luck and grabbed some paper towels to stop the bleeding while I cleaned up the mess I made on the Bridgeport. I was going to go to security to report it, they would have called the fire dept and they woulda come to the skool with sirens blazing. As I finished cleaning, the bleeding had slowed down to almost nothing so I proceeded to continue working on my project.

Hard headed Polack......

Sounds like you need a crash helmet;)

Ex-gf bought a disc lock like this (but posher) for her motorbike http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-932434-Motorcycle-Disc-Lock/dp/B004P3XW8K - the pin goes through the disc and prevents roll-away theft - she then lost BOTH keys, bless her.

I draped the wheel and surroundings with a wet cloth "for the sparks", angle grinder made short work of it and as it fell from the bike I switched the grinder off and parked it, looked round to see her pick up the cut away piece of the lock , and put it down VERY quickly with two fingers and a thumb's worth of skin attached...

I think the radial arm saw's my most frightening tool, had mine put 3 feet of 6x3 timber straight through the shed wall, across the garden and through next door's fence without touching down!

Dave H. (the other one)

Dave,
I enjoy using the radial arm saw. I agree that it's one of the most dangerous machines in the shop. However, respect it like electricity and motorcycles, and you'll be fine, IMO.

Back