[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
I had posted this message in another thread but have copied it here to begin a course on how I get from idea to part at the lowest cost and training.
I have seen posts for some time here looking for how to get from idea to part with the least amount of expense and learning as possible and I have decided to put up a thread with youtube videos showing how I have resolved all these problems myself at the least amount of cost and learning curve. someone will have to show me how to make a sticky.
5 years ago I had never run a machinist tool ever, the closest I had ever come was a brake lathe in the automotive business I'd worked in for 37 years. I had bought a small lathe and mill to play with for small parts. I was lost I didn't have the skills or knowledge to operate the machines with any precision at all. So I got on the internet and spent the better part of a year downloading every free or demo cad software I could find. now I could draw the part but lacked the skill to operate the equipment to achieve any real accuracy. that's how I got into cnc, if I can make the machine do the motion I'd make less mistakes like turning the handle the wrong way.
I'm not a machinist, I'm not a draftsman but now I can and do make parts for machine shops in my area that will take them too long to make manual and I get requests all the time.
for 2.5d work I use
1. emachineshop software, it's FREE, very powerful and user friendly.
the number one reason I use it, is I don't have to type in a location for a line box or circle I just draw it and then in the in the boxes define its size. most cad programs want to know x position y position radius arc ect. before you see anything on the screen. that's too confusing for me I draw it and then define the size. emachineshop has really good help and videos.
2. I use d2nc to convert dxf files to g-code it costs less than $80
it is very powerful also doing pockets, inside outside tool comp, 4th axis wraping and scaling, text, engraving, tabs, ramping and a lot more. everything I have ever needed in a 2.5d part. it does not at this time do islands inside a pocket but I have an easy work around.
I built my cnc machines with the sherlines I first converted with these softwares.
3. mach3 I think it's about .......$179
buy the licence you will get all the wizards, they really help get you started.
It wont come quickly and if there is no interest I wont keep doing it but I will try to make the first video and start the thread in a day or two.
I'm not wanting to go into other softwares or comparisons but just show how I do things for those who are interested with the programs I use.
steve

Last edited:
I'll be watching this.

I run a CNN plasma cutter. I use the software provided by the company that made the machine.
I haven't programed a CNC mill or lathe and currently, I don't have access to either one either. Oh, I take that back. I used the "teach" command on an old Lagon mill to trim a production plastic part.

I'd like to make a CNC printer.

I hope this encourages you to keep adding to this thread.

I already just now downloaded EmachineShop to my computer. Awaiting your lessons.:))

ok here is the first vid and wow is it of poor quality
I'm a redneck in florida so bear with me i'll do a lot better
the cad program is emachineshop you cant see the heading on the screen
thanks for viewing
steve
[video=youtube;ZPWpDMADgWk]

Last edited:
Great tutorial, Steve! The only problem is that I couldn't see what you were doing on the computer screen. I think I would have learned a lot if it wasn't so much like a radio program.:lmao: I appreciate all the effort your putting into doing this, but if I can't see it, it aint gonna help me much.:lmao:

I hope it's not to much to ask if we could get the video quality up a little bit.

Marcel

PS. I really appreciate this, so don't take it the wrong way.;)

thanks marcel
I think I have found what I need to use to record this better but my laptops mic is disabled and now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that??
I'm looking at hypercam and it seems to look perfect if I can get a mic working
using a camera to record the screen stinks focus and glare are a real problem
steve
ps the next video will be configuring emachineshop so your screen looks and saves files the same as mine.

Last edited:
thanks marcel
I think I have found what I need to use to record this better but my laptop's mic is disabled and now I'm trying to figure out what to do about that??
I'm looking at hypercam and it seems to look perfect if I can get a mic working
using a camera to record the screen stinks focus and glare are a real problem
steve
ps the next video will be configuring emachineshop so your screen looks and saves files the same as mine.

Steve

Have you gotten the mic problem figured out?

Dan

Back