CNC in the garage?

dweed1531

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I just graduated from school in Machining. I have a lot more to learn. I am still looking for a job. Jobs for a machinist are very hard to find where I live. I have been in retail my whole life and decided on a career change.

My 2 goals, to make various random nic nac things. Also to keep my basic CNC understanding up what I learned in school. I am worried I will forget stuff and that will hurt me in a interview. I don't want to be at a job and go "Wait what was that I learned 2 months ago".

I could afford payments of 200$ a month or 3,000$ in cash. I am looking for a single phase vertical mill that can help me with my 2 goals. I can't see myself using anything bigger than 5x5 or 6x6 stock.

I have been looking at the Taig mill.
http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html

We used Fanuc controllers on a couple of HAAS lathes and Mills. A lot of places around me use the same set up. So I would like to find a controller in a CNC mill that will help keep me up with the G and M Code. I have been doing a lot or research. It seems a lot of mills use Mach3 or Tormach's new Pathpilot. Will such programs help me or hinder me?

If anyone has any advice or guidance. It will definitely be appreciated.

Thank you,

Hi!

Full disclosure, I have never purchased a CNC machine before, I converted one. I personally think that Taig Mill is seriously lacking in performance for that price.

Here is my machine:
39nh9o5.jpg

It is an X2 mill with the following components:
Belt Drive Kit
Nacchi Angular Contact Bearings
1605 Ball Screws
400oz-in motors on all 3 axes
Column brace

The total cost for everything is around $1200 which leaves a lot of money in your budget for tooling and extras. My machine can rapid at 300 IPM and has the same resolution as the Taig listed. My mill also weighs in around 130 lbs vs that 85lbs.

The key difference is if you went the same route I went, it would be more work doing the conversion instead of plug and play like the Taig. One of the classic time vs money things. If you have more time than money, converting is the way to go. If you have the cash but are short on time, a turn key system would be the way to go.

As for your 2 goals, both machines would be able to acheive them. Just to give you a little idea what a simple X2 conversion is capable of, here are a few things I have made recently.

A motor plate for a 2 HP treadmill motor. This was made so the treadmill motor could replace the stock motor.
e2XzyU6.jpg

BOEGfaJ.jpg

A couple carbide insert holders.
e0LfsBl.jpg

A bishop for a chess set I am making my dad.
4Be8pEL.jpg

So making little nic nacs is easily done. As for keeping up with the code, I can't comment about the other controls or what it would help you practice with, but I can tell you about what I use which is LinuxCNC. As far as I know, it is kind of like a less refined version of Path Pilot. The interface isn't as polished, but the code is very similar (again, may be wrong, but I believe Path Pilot is based on LinuxCNC). The big win for LinuxCNC is that it is free and open source so it doesn't take away from the machine's budget and there is a ton of support for it.

Also, one of the biggest things doing a conversion did for me was teach me not to be afraid of the machine because I know it inside and out now. I know every single component, what it is supposed to do, and what it sounds like when that component isn't working right. Buying a turnkey machine, you don't get that knowledge of your machine as easily.

So the TL;DR: I think you can get a lot more machine for the money if you convert a small manual mill in that price range. I think thats the best route if you have the time and desire. I would also look at used machines online. I have seen some awesome deals on craigslist before.

Maybe that was just a bunch of rambling, but I hope it helps at least a bit.

My two cents, if you want a job in industry, get a machine with an industrial control. You have to watch auctions, craig's list etc. but they are out there. I just bought a vectrax CNC knee mill with a working Fanuc 0 M control for $2000.

Mach is a great hobbyist control but its quite a bit different than something like a Fanuc.

Pay and openings in the CNC industry is all about your knowledge level. If you are just a "green button pusher" openings are slim and the pay is low. OTOH if you are a super skilled CNC machinist that can do minor repairs, program changes, new setups, etc. its a super field to work in with incredible job demand.

G and M codes have not really changed very much in the 50 years since MIT developed it. Having said that, each controller has it's own little quirks and some codes that are specific to that controller, with a format of Gx.xx. Fanuc is pretty much an industry standard, but all controllers don't use all of the Fanuc conventions. You normally find the differences in the canned cycle operations, but for the most part they are all the same. Keep in mind, you could cut a very complex part using only G01 moves and nothing else. Not very efficient, but possible.

Now having your own machine to increase your skills is a good thing, and besides it's fun. If you have the room, you might find a full sized knee mill to be more useful, may actually be able to find one for less money than the Taig mill. At least that way it would be a bit closer to the heavy industrial machines you would find in the commercial shops, and thus a bit more real world experience.

It's not really about learning/remembering G & M codes, it's more about learning what a machine will do and every machine is different.

Best of luck :)

Where did you purchase it?

Sorry, didn't see the other posts till just now.

Thank you for your guys input. It's just really frustrating to let time pass by and not continue learning without someone hiring you..

Where did you purchase it?
You have had a few people respond so its hard to tell who you are talking to. If you click "Reply" by that particular response, it will keep things straight and alert that member, like this.

Both please. I am interested in both aspects on how to tackle this dilemma

For my machine, here is a parts list and the prices I paid:

HF 44991 Mill - $550 shipped https://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

2 550mm ballscrews and 1 300mm ballscrew - $167 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zyltech-Ant...111302?hash=item4af848f706:g:jQMAAOSw2x1XL6Wx

3 400 oz in motors - $100 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Ship-Nem...634897?hash=item35f78f5e91:g:1tcAAOSwyQtVmybn

3 TB6600 Stepper Drivers - $45 shipped - https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Upgrad...qid=1497898550&sr=8-4&keywords=stepper+driver

Breakout board - $7 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mach3-C...075812?hash=item44023925e4:g:6D4AAOSwKytZMjI5

Waterproof aviation connectors - $9 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pairs-Av...ffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

2 48V 10A PS - $80 shipped - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Suppl...hash=item5410a53321:m:m3Im8YrHpSwVL1BBc7Zn_zQ

The angular contact bearings were an ebay buy but they were $25 each - $50

Column brace - $15 in materials

Belt drive kit - $150 shipped - http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2560

Total: $1173

The control computer was purchased on craigslist for $60 and LinuxCNC was installed. I use an old 17" monitor I found in my parents attic, similar ones are $20 or less on craigslist. Mouse and keyboard were the same deal, but thats about $20 right there.

Tooling also needs to be considered. Over time it tends to build up but tooling/accessories I have are as follows:

3" toolmakers vise: $60 shipped

Various endmills - $150 (over 2 years now)

1-2-3 Blocks - $15

Clamping kit - $60

Parallels - $30

Calipers - $20

Dial indicator and holder - $30

Dial test indicator - $25

Surface plate - $50

Thats about what I use regularly and would get you started.

This is my machine. It is a Syil X4+ that I bought used for $2,500. I built the stand, leveling system, enclosure and flood cooling system (probably $500), moved the electronics and bought a refurbished XP computer ($100). I had some tooling & vises from a previous HF mini mill. But have add a lot of tooling over the 5 years that I've had it.
It runs Mach3 but you can write your own G codes, use CAM produced G code (VisualMill) and edit the CAM produced G code. Mach3 G code is much like other popular controller G codes with just a few differences. Differences that you probably will seldom run across and are easy to find documentation about should you need it.
If I could do it over again I would probably go for a larger and more robust CNC mill. Tormach might be a starting point. A used commercial mill would be nice, but they are usually either expensive or worn out. However, this mill does a good job and I am happy with it.

mill 1a.jpg

dweed , hi . If you want a hobby machine and can spare the cash that would be fun . But if you want a serious career in the machining world I would suggest looking at large companies in the aero-space world , like Boeing and such . Good luck Bro. !

Back