[Newbie] Cnc Questions

Jim,

Are there kits out there for tool changers (hobbyest ones) and fifth axis attachments for smaller mills?
I'm going to take the plunge, but after I have both machines.

Here are a couple videos of styles of tool changers that could easily be built in the home shop.

I am going to assume that you mistyped 5th axis and actually meant 4th axis.;) However, a 5th axis is not out of the question either. A 5th axis normally adds tilt to the 4th axis. Great for making turbine wheels from a solid billet.:)

Note the tool changer on this one also

Yes, 4th axis kits are available. Google 4th axis kit.

Or it's just more fun to build one.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/4th-axis-build.40642/

Once the 4 axis drive electronics are installed, it can be used for both a rotary axis and a 3D print head. All that's required is one more stepper driver and wiring. Add another stepper drive, and you could have a 5 axis machine!:grin: I think Mach3 will handle 6 axis.

http://www.5-axis.com/

Something like this perhaps?
If I was to go with something like the PM-25 instead of the PM-727, would the lighter weight be as much of an issue in CNC land as it is in manual?

Wow! That's quite a piece of equipment. Never seen one of those before. Looks really expensive.:eek:

A PM25 would be OK as a CNC platform. Yes, the lighter weight would affect the maximum material removal rate, and thus the accuracy/stability at higher speeds. As you go down in weight, the ability to take a cut that will load the tool bit properly is decreased, and thus the tool life suffers.

Taking shallower cuts is the answer. Keeping the feed rate up to keep the chip load in a reasonable range.

Fwiw..
A CNC conversion, when done really well on a lathe, cost me about 8k€ in parts at wholesale rates.

That is for industrial quality, with industrial components, somewhat equivalent to a 100k € lathe, so..
3 axis, 4 Mhz, CSMIO-IPs, 0.2 micron step rate, 32 mm ballscrews, C axis at 30.000 steps/turn (0.013 degrees) with 2.5 kW servo spindle at 90 Nm torque.

Belt drives x,z, 30 mm wide,HTD8, AC servos 220V, 750W, 1:2, 20.000 steps/turn at 5 mm screws for 0.25 um res.
1:3 at spindle, HTD8,1:3.

My interest is for high end quality, and very high resolution..

I have 2 toolchangers, not yet implemented, with TC2 a 70 kg servo turret, 8 tools.
TC1 s a 4-way front flat turret.
Lathe is a 12x24 light industrial.

Glass scales will be put on, hopefully with feedback, hopefully with submicron res.

@hanermo2 we would like to see pictures of you setup. Sounds like a very high quality conversion. Is the lathe stable enough for submicron machining?

No public pics.
It´s a Q of $$, and commercial concerns, and I am sorry.
This may change..

The lathe is not good enough for submicron features (feature =/= accuracy).

Since about 2005, I got about 1 micron mechanical resolution, with ghetto-solution gecko drives, treadmill servos w. US digital E7 encoder 10k counts, and HTD5/15 belts at 1:3.
That was still with acme screws.
Today the stuff is 2-6x better.

I need to do major finishing work, re: wiring MPG and ENC threading, shields wrap-up, before I can do pics.
It really must look industrial, with metal shields, et al.

Major work is required, eg. the saddle plate must be replaced again or milled to accept the toolchangers.
Its about 15 mm too high for the 4-pos toolchanger, at 50 mm thick, 200 mm wide, 400 mm long, by memory.

I can make 1 micron steps on turning.
E.g. the lathe can make (need to) a plug gage with 1 micron steps, etc.

It is not accurate to 1 micron, no.
The steps are 1 micron in size.
Measuring the steps, I can find out eg which one is 50.000 and which are -0.001 and plus 0.001.

Actual accuracy, as-is, today, is about 0.01 mm.

I may, likely will, get better resolution with ground screws,
This is a Q of money, and it´s an ongoing project.
Until other stuff finishes, I cannot justify the ground screws, at this time.

The x axis is 14x more stiff than stock, with 3/4" ballscrew, used to be dual constrained in tension.
The X-screw itself is crap, a roton / mcmaster part I bought back in 2002, when I started.
It needs changing, and causes problems.

It can, and will, make small movements when properly loaded in an incremental direction.
But it has lots of slop, error, etc etc..

Changing to a stock , my import stuff, 25 mm / 5 mm, screw at back, will likely:
+remove most slop.
+remove the spring in current system.
+Allow accurate positioning.
I expect about 2 um-1um-0.5um resolution, and about 3-4 um accuracy over a 50 mm area.
Cost of screw, new, retail, about 120-140€ iirc, and I have some.
About 20-50 hours work.

A ground screw would give 0.1-0.5 um resolution, and 0.5 um accuracy, mapped.
I have one C0 screw, but it only has == 100 mm movement.
Trying to source another.
A custom ground hiwin screw is an option, 20/2 mm, about 800$ ex-works, with 200 mm movement. C3.

I want the longer movement so (gang) tools can work front or back, as needed, since I have a servo spindle.

With glass scales for feedback you don't need to worry about the ballscrews. The motion controller will automatically compensate for for any backlash or screw error. It is best to use double nut ballscrews so you can preload for zero backlash. This is how my mill is set up and it will consistently position to +/- 1 micron. I'm using 1 micron magnetic scales.

Back