Collet Help

Yes a metric set works for imperial sizes. Metric collets are numbered for a range in millimeters something like 5-4, 6-5, 7-6, etc. For example, to hold a 3/8ths round piece it would take a 10-9 metric collet.
A 23 collet set should cover any Imperial size up to and including an inch but please calculate it out for yourself to be sure.

Yes a metric set works for imperial sizes. Metric collets are numbered for a range in millimeters something like 5-4, 6-5, 7-6, etc. For example, to hold a 3/8ths round piece it would take a 10-9 metric collet.
A 23 collet set should cover any Imperial size up to and including an inch but please calculate it out for yourself to be sure.

Thanks Tozguy for the response. I suppose it is possible the imperial sets are the same as the metric sets with different
labeling. The only reason I mention this is because the 23 piece sets labeled CNC are about half the price of the imperial sets
in most cases as I peruse E-bay......

You may be right. I went with the least expensive ER32 metric set and have not looked back.

Bolton Group has ER40 collets for under $8.00 ea. If you buy one, shipping doubles that, but buy a bunch and its' about the same shipping.

I have seen posts that say ER collets are more difficult to use at the extent of their range, fully tightened, that they require much more torque there to hold well. I have no experience with ER collets, just asking.

You can get ER collet chucks to fit nearly anything. I have ER 16 and 32 with .750 straight shanks and use them in the mill and lathe to hold smaller parts and cutters, they have a wider grip range and run truer than 5C or R8 collets. The brand I have are Talon and they have been great for TIR and grip without needing to strain on the wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back