Considering Selling My Lathe Would Like Opinions Please.

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
Well I have a th54 and for the most part it will swing every thing I've tried to date. Would I like extra room. Of course. Would I like a QCGB. Of course. I'm considering purchasing an atlas 12" model lathe. A friend has forsale I have to go look at it and make him an offer or see what he wants for it. But is it really worth purchasing another lathe just to have an extra 2"? I do not know anything other then it's definitely a 12" lathe not sure about QCGB or qctp or anything else. It has been stored in a reefer trailer for 10+ yrs. it was his fathers and he passed it onto him recently. Of course he has no interest. I'm just not sure if it's worth shelling out money to go up 2" and how much it could even be worth. If anyone has any pointers please advise.

Regards-Carlo

Last edited by a moderator:
Capacity seems to grow projects which exceed the limits of the machine you have. If you have the space, cash, and can power, and move it safely. Sounds like a done deal. I've never used anything but a QCGB. But, from what I understand it's nothing more than an opportunity to learn more. Same with QCTP.

Value? I've no idea. Prices always seem to be locally driven.

Wear your safety glasses, short sleeves, and count your fingers before you turn out the light! Bigger machines are also more powerful.
Please keep us posted.

Daryl
MN

I will keep everyone posted. I try to be safety oriented when doing anything. Lack of experience tends to be my major flaw though. I'm hoping this lathe is 3phase powered so I have an excuse to by a converter so when I buy a mill I already have it. But come Friday I'll know if it's even a possibility or not

Regards-Carlo

People here will help you figure out the electrical, if you have enough amps available.
As far as experiecne near as I can tell none of us have enough.

Carlo, we are all in this together.

Daryl
MN

Like Daryl said.

A 12" swing lathe is a lot more machine than a 10" swing lathe. It is still not a "big" machine. I think you would find it very handy. You will have more rigidity, more scope for fitting in odd ball jobs. It will still be light enough and small enough that it won't be a huge chore to move around (perhaps with a couple buddies, small pickup truck) - not like you'll be moving it on a regular basis.

Regardless of the power, you'll have no problem (it is a 12" Atlas, you are not talking about loads of power). I agree with you on hoping it is 3 phase.

Have a good look around for the various bits and pieces (all the pieces of whatever attachement, specialty wrenches, the second set of jaws). I can't count the hours I've spent searching for, or making the rest of the pieces to complete some aspect of one of my machine.

It sounds like you are not completely brand new to this game, so you should be okay. The usual disclaimers apply - if it is a wreck, consider your time and $$ resources (and whether you want a machine to address your other projects, or are you like many of us here that aquire yet another project machine because the half dozen waiting in the que leaves you feeling like you just don't have enough to do!). Don't worry if it is a little rusty (usually they will clean up well).

Take care and have fun. Please keep us informed (with pictures too).

David

A 12" lathe is about the largest machine you can have where you won't wish sometimes that you also had a 6" for the very small jobs. However, a fair price, besides depending upon what part of the country you are in, depends upon what model Atlas 12" it is. Between 1936 and 1981, Atlas made and Sears and then Atlas and Sears sold a total of at least 76 different models of the 12" alone, not counting the Metric ones. So whether it would be a good idea (assuming that you can afford it regardless of what it is) to switch depends greatly upon what model it is.

Unless his father had it in a commercial shop, the odds are greatly against it having a 3-phase motor. It is anywhere from moderately difficult even if cost is not object to impossible (depending upon where you live) to get 3-phase in a residence in this country. And the availability of affordable static converters wasn't good during most of the years that Atlas built lathes.

His father didn't use it commercially. They restore tractors as a hobby and occasionally they needed a part that wasn't so easily acquired. Which is why he bought this lathe. His original shop that the machine was in had three phase which is why I'm hoping it is still fitted with three phase. His father is like all of us. Has a ton of projects and buys any tool he can afford to use it. He purchased it used and because of a previous injury he's been unable to do a lot of the things he used too. They usually take care of all their stuff and my buddy doesn't want it as he already has a lathe. I vaguely remember seeing it in years past but hopefully this weekend I'll get out there to take a good look at it. We'll see how it goes.

Regards-Carlo

OK. I understand your reasoning on the 3-phase. Post the model number when you know it. Some of the 12" machines would be a step up from a TH54 and some would be larger but poorer in some other regards.

OK. I understand your reasoning on the 3-phase. Post the model number when you know it. Some of the 12" machines would be a step up from a TH54 and some would be larger but poorer in some other regards.
Is there a specific model I should be looking for in those regards? If I'm going to
Purchase something id rather it be a step up. If I'm not getting better it's of no use to
Me.

Regards-Carlo

I'm not certain that your use of "Atlas" in "Atlas 12 inch" is literal (it has an Atlas badge) or generic (it was made by Atlas but could be a Craftsman badged unit).

Well, any model number 101.07402 or lower will have a 5/8" diameter lead screw and no power cross feed. Any model number 101.07383 or lower will have babbit bearings. Any model number 101.07363 or lower will not have back gears. Any model number ending in 00 or 01 will use the early version change gears with the 3/8" long hubs. Any model number ending in 02 or 03 and full number 101.07403 or later will use the "A"-suffix gears, same as in your TH54. 101.27430 and 101.27440 will have a QCGB but are otherwise the same as 101.07403. All model numbers 101.27440 and lower have 3/8" beds, same as or substantially the same as your TH54. A 101.07402 can be turned into a 101.07403 by swapping the carriage and lead screw. The carriage on your TH54 is the same as the one on the 101.07403 but I don't know whether the 10" or the 12" has the longer lead screw. In the case that the 12" is a 101.07402 and you buy it and swap the carriages (and do whatever is necessary with the lead screws), the 10" would become a 1054T, which is a Timken bearing 10D.

Any model number greater than 101.27440 will have a 1/2" bed and, bed length and condition being acceptable, will be a step up from the TH54. Any Atlas built 12" that actually has an Atlas badge will have a 1/2" bed and is a step up from a TH-54. The latter group all have 4-digit model numbers beginning with "39". The best models for it to turn out to be would be either 3996 or 101.28990. These are the same and are 12x36 cabinet models.

My wife just announced dinner is ready to that's it for the speculation for now.

Back