Cutter Help Needed For Project

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm trying to help out a friend of mine with a shotgun pump slide.
As you can hopefully see in the pictures, the slide is machined with a concave on the short end to mesh with the tube. There is a small nib left on the end of the slide that fits in the tube slot and is then riveted to the tube.
The long end of the slide is long enough it prevents me from getting at it with a boring bar while keeping mill head parallel to the slide. Can't get to it from the other end due to needing to leave a nib.
I considered using a straight or she'll mill cutter, but can't seem to find one the right size.
As you can see, the tube is just a hair over 1" in diameter and I can't find a 1" cutter. I'm considering trying either a T-slot cutter or a keyway cutter, but wasn't sure how well it would work.
Any ideas or suggestions ???

20161229_111350.jpg 20161229_111438.jpg 20161229_111449.jpg 20161229_111639.jpg

It is difficult to tell from your pictures exactly what you are trying to do. Maybe a better side by side of the old and new part would help.

Was difficult to get a good picture.
If you look at the first picture, the slide is an S-shaped piece of steel.
If you look at the third picture, I have it clamped in a jig I made.
Basically, a concave has to be machined along the length of the short end (with the holes pre-drilled) except a small nib has to be left on the end. This fits into the slot cut in the tube you can see in the forth picture
It has to fit flush along the tube you see in the first and fourth pictures.
I'll fit the original up to the tube and try to get better pictures this next week.

Okay I see it when I enlarge the photo. Because of the OD size I would use a boring head and regrind a boring bar with a reduced edge to side cut and down cut.

Don't remeber off hand, I'll have to ask him.

Back