1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

D1-4 Spindle Wrench

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by Tozguy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec
    The T wrench for my D1-4 spindle fits rather loose in the socket of the cam. The cam gets all the torque I can deliver by hand. The sockets are starting to get buggered and will only get worse unless a better wrench is used. Have any of you encountered this problem and how have you addressed the issue?

Note: The socket is 10 mm and I have not been able to find a supplier for a new wrench of this size. The idea of making a new wrench by myself is daunting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. British Steel

British Steel United Kingdom Active User Active Member

City:
    Camberley
    Get a 1/2" square drive socket extension bar, grind 1.3 mm off each face of the square (carefully) and deburr, either drive it with a ratchet (my preference) or drill though t'other end and fit a tommy bar, simples!

Dave H. (the other one)

Tozguy likes this.
  3. Tozguy

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec
    Thanks Dave, that is certainly a straight forward solution and within my capabilities.

I have since found that 10mm square key stock fits the socket perfectly. Plus, I happen to have a 10mm square female wrench on hand so maybe together these could work too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California
    I use a 10mm drain plug socket with an extension & long ratchet. I never liked using those chuck key style T-handles for the camlocks.

Tozguy likes this.
  5. Tozguy

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec
    Love the ratchet idea Dave and Darkzero. I'm heading out to shop for the drain plug socket.
    This place is wonderful!

6. British Steel

British Steel United Kingdom Active User Active Member

City:
    Camberley
    My big (10") 4-jaw takes a 1/2" hex, so I've cut pieces off a 1/2" Allen key and silver-soldered them into 1/2" 6-point sockets that I drive with a ratchet and extension bar, for the 3-jaw and the D1-5 cams I just slip the socket off the bar!

Dave H. (the other one)