D1-4 Spindle Wrench

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The T wrench for my D1-4 spindle fits rather loose in the socket of the cam. The cam gets all the torque I can deliver by hand. The sockets are starting to get buggered and will only get worse unless a better wrench is used. Have any of you encountered this problem and how have you addressed the issue?

Note: The socket is 10 mm and I have not been able to find a supplier for a new wrench of this size. The idea of making a new wrench by myself is daunting.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

Last edited:
Get a 1/2" square drive socket extension bar, grind 1.3 mm off each face of the square (carefully) and deburr, either drive it with a ratchet (my preference) or drill though t'other end and fit a tommy bar, simples!

Dave H. (the other one)

Thanks Dave, that is certainly a straight forward solution and within my capabilities.

I have since found that 10mm square key stock fits the socket perfectly. Plus, I happen to have a 10mm square female wrench on hand so maybe together these could work too.

Last edited:
I use a 10mm drain plug socket with an extension & long ratchet. I never liked using those chuck key style T-handles for the camlocks.

Love the ratchet idea Dave and Darkzero. I'm heading out to shop for the drain plug socket.
This place is wonderful!

My big (10") 4-jaw takes a 1/2" hex, so I've cut pieces off a 1/2" Allen key and silver-soldered them into 1/2" 6-point sockets that I drive with a ratchet and extension bar, for the 3-jaw and the D1-5 cams I just slip the socket off the bar!

Dave H. (the other one)

Back