Dating vintage Starrett tools

Here is the picture of the blue micrometer box, you requested the other day. Sorry it took so long burried at work!

Bob in Oregon

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning raross61. So far I have only found descriptions for black enamel frames in my catalogs. A pic of the label end of the factory box would be an enormous help in identifying these mics - I hope you can post one.

Added: Is there a possibility that the box is not the one the mic originally came in? That happens quite often. The reason I pose that question is that the box is of some age (1920s/1930s and maybe immediate post WWII ?) - I seem to remember some references (I don't recall where or of what substance) to blue enamel frame Starrett mics, but of more recent manufacture. My research catalogs end at 1979, the date of my last new Starrett tool.

James

James,

I believe this is the original box off the 1-2" Mic. the description is the same! No lock, No thimble, so in it's day I would say it was the economy model!

Bob in Oregon

Picture 003.jpg Picture 010.jpg

James,

I may have a few vintage Starrett tools and I know I have a couple of early 1900's catalogs. The web site is a great idea, I wish someone would start one for Lufkin as I have a rather extensive collection of their tools.

Tom

Here is the picture of the blue micrometer box, you requested the other day. Sorry it took so long burried at work! .......... I believe this is the original box off the 1-2" Mic. the description is the same! No lock, No thimble, so in it's day I would say it was the economy model!

Bob in Oregon
Thank you for the pics Bob. The label confirms it is indeed a No. 436 mic - I hoped there would be a Starrett stamp or writing on the label indicating the blue enamel finish on the frame resulted from a special order (which Starrett advertised was available) - all of my catalogs specify black enamel for all painted mic frames. Of course, a previous owner may have painted the frame, although the quality of the finish looks to be OEM.

You are correct in your assessment that this was an "economy" model - Starrett used such terms as "an ideal tool at moderate cost for all-around shop use" in describing it. It had a long sales life: it wasn't listed in the 1900 catalog, but it was in my 1927 catalog and was still listed in my 1979 catalog.

I think the box dates fom the 1920s/1930s/1940s. The following pics are from my 1927 Starrett catalog:

James​

Last edited by a moderator:
For several years I have wanted to have a readily accessible facility that would enable me to date my vintage STARRETT tools. I hope to accomplish that goal via this project which would benefit from visitor input and would be universally accessible.

I earnestly request all input from fellow Starrett users/collectors. I wil credit all participants and publish results and updates periodically on this Forum.

The data I have recorded to date is quite sparse and undoubtedly will benefit from corrections and additional information. A problem for me is my failing memory - fortunately I own a good selection of Starrett catalogs for the years 1900-1980 - invaluable references indeed.

Here is the project page: http://jp29.org/starrett.htm

I would greatly appreciate any input from members of this Forum.

James

Dear James,
Now that I have seen your project page I am anxious to date the Starrett tools I own. I have a couple of later catalogs (No. 28 and No. 31) and also a large 1938 No. 26 catalog. (I think it might have been a dealer's counter catalog)
Regards... Maurice

Starrett 38.jpg

Dear James,
Now that I have seen your project page I am anxious to date the Starrett tools I own. I have a couple of later catalogs (No. 28 and No. 31) and also a large 1938 No. 26 catalog. (I think it might have been a dealer's counter catalog)
Regards... Maurice
Thank you for the feedback Maurice. That is a wonderful catalog - a real treasure - thanks for posting the pic.

James

Good evening, James. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I've collected a few older Starrett tools in the past couple of years and found two that didn't have the "Co." at the end of the L.S. Starrett name stamped on them. The first was a 12" caliper that seems to be able to be used as either an inside or outside caliper (photo 1 and 2). The second is a level that appears to be an 8", No. 97, based on the pictures in the catalog you linked to(photos 3 and 4). It's always a pleasure to handle (and use) these old tool that are still so functional.

Keith W

caliper1.jpg Caliiper2.jpg Level1.jpg Level2.jpg

Good evening, James. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I've collected a few older Starrett tools in the past couple of years and found two that didn't have the "Co." at the end of the L.S. Starrett name stamped on them. The first was a 12" caliper that seems to be able to be used as either an inside or outside caliper (photo 1 and 2). The second is a level that appears to be an 8", No. 97, based on the pictures in the catalog you linked to(photos 3 and 4). It's always a pleasure to handle (and use) these old tool that are still so functional.

Keith W
Thank you for your great contribution Keith. You have two very early Starrett tools as shown by the stampings. Up to 1895 tools were stamped as follows (and as your tools are) - no "The" preceeding L. S. Starrett and no "Co." following Starrett or "U.S.A" following Mass:

0astarrett14.jpg

In 1895 the stamping was changed to the form we are most familiar with now:

0astarrett16.jpg

Of course, it took some time for the changes to be reflected on goods in process but it seems to be generally accepted that Starrett tools bearing the "old" stamping were produced prior to 1900. The early stamping was often accompanied by the patent date (like your calipers) as follows:

0astarrett14a.jpg

Starrett tools bearing the early stamping are considered rare and desirable by Starrett tool collectors.

BTW, Keith, that is a stunning level you have - beautiful!

James

Last edited:
James,

I may have a few vintage Starrett tools and I know I have a couple of early 1900's catalogs. The web site is a great idea, I wish someone would start one for Lufkin as I have a rather extensive collection of their tools.

Tom
Good morning Tom. I am becoming very nostalgic in my old age - I guess that is inevitable - I too would like to see more online reference resources for great old tools such as Lufkin. Why not compose such a web site yourself, Tom?

James

Last edited:
Good morning Tom. I am becoming very nostalgic in my old age - I guess that is inevitable - I too would like to see more online reference resources for great old tools such as Lufkin. Why not compose such a web site yourself, Tom?

James

James,

I have thought about building a Lufkin site, but currently it's not high on my list of priorities, but it is on the radar. Right now there aren't enough hours in the day to compete the projects I am working on. :shrugs:

Speaking of nostalgia. I recently tracked down another Lufkin collector who was a well known authority on Lufkin tools and he sent me a CD with a catalog cross reference on it along with some other historic info and as an added bonus, included a couple of bricks from the Saginaw factory. I'm using them as book ends for my Lufkin catalogs. How cool is that? My wife doesn't get it, but I'm sure another too collector would appreciate the significance.

Tom

James,

I have thought about building a Lufkin site, but currently it's not high on my list of priorities, but it is on the radar. Right now there aren't enough hours in the day to compete the projects I am working on. :shrugs: ...........
I am in the same boat, Tom - in addition to running twelve web sites (109 pages) and two message Boards, I am a Calligrapher producing daily commissions, occasional bookbinding and ongoing historical writing. Isn't retirement great? By the time I am ninety I will be pretty much fully occupied!:))

.......... Speaking of nostalgia. I recently tracked down another Lufkin collector who was a well known authority on Lufkin tools and he sent me a CD with a catalog cross reference on it along with some other historic info and as an added bonus, included a couple of bricks from the Saginaw factory. I'm using them as book ends for my Lufkin catalogs. How cool is that? My wife doesn't get it, but I'm sure another too collector would appreciate the significance.
I have heard about that, Tom - great stuff! -and I really do appreciate the significance.

James

Last edited:
Back