[Newbie] Deciding On First Mill And Tooling

kf4zht

Registered
Registered
Calling this my first mill even though I have a unimat and had a MaxNC

After years of looking for a used BP or clone I have determined that the Atlanta market is not good for use machinery, too little industry. I am looking at some of the import options and down to 3.

Charter Oak Benchtop - $1500 - This is the smallest but still a decent work area and same motor as the bigger ones. Since it's the cheapest it leaves me the most money to drop on tools immediately

Charter Oak 12Z - $2350 - Has the biggest table and travels by a decent amount. I will have to built a stand but it will leave me some money for tooling

PM-932-PDF - $2800 - Comes with the most accessories including power feed x and z, quill dro and a stand. If I buy this one I can get a vise and have to save for anything else.

I have some smaller size endmills and measuring tools. I don't have a vise, test indicators, collets, angle plates, etc.

Stuck on what to do. Getting the small one and tons of stuff to go with it is tempting but I don't wonder if the first larger project I do I won't be wishing for the bigger table and extra travel

Due to budget constraints, I opted for the PM25, no power feed, but with 2 Axis DRO. Your power feed on the PM932 PDF is certainly worth the extra cost, and your table is considerably larger than mine. I read (on this forum) about the customer satisfaction Matt supplies and made my choice based upon this. I've had excellent service on my machine. Although, to be honest, only one service, free replacement of a faulty control panel.

Calling this my first mill even though I have a unimat and had a MaxNC

After years of looking for a used BP or clone I have determined that the Atlanta market is not good for use machinery, too little industry. I am looking at some of the import options and down to 3.

Charter Oak Benchtop - $1500 - This is the smallest but still a decent work area and same motor as the bigger ones. Since it's the cheapest it leaves me the most money to drop on tools immediately

Charter Oak 12Z - $2350 - Has the biggest table and travels by a decent amount. I will have to built a stand but it will leave me some money for tooling

PM-932-PDF - $2800 - Comes with the most accessories including power feed x and z, quill dro and a stand. If I buy this one I can get a vise and have to save for anything else.

I have some smaller size endmills and measuring tools. I don't have a vise, test indicators, collets, angle plates, etc.

Stuck on what to do. Getting the small one and tons of stuff to go with it is tempting but I don't wonder if the first larger project I do I won't be wishing for the bigger table and extra travel

Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt. ;)

Bought a PM25 and was very happy with it until I wanted to tackle a couple of projects that didn't fit it's work envelope very well. Started getting a bit frustrated, so decided that what I needed was a PM25 on steroids. So I went with the CO 12Z.

It was more than I wanted to spend, and I had to wait on some of the accessories for it, but it has done everything I have asked of it, and then some. I didn't get it because I felt the urge to run a 3/4" end mill, but rather because I wanted the larger table (basically a 10x40 for all intents and purposes) and the travels that come with it. I 'almost' pulled the trigger on a 932, but wanted more Y axis travel, and Matt didn't have the PM940 a year ago.

Your short list is a good one. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Back