Delrin Grinding Wheel Arbor Spacer

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hi Guys,
A great guy, a member by the name of middle.road, sent me a couple hi grade 100 grit green grinder wheels!!!

i'll be using these beauties to sharpen my carbide metal scraping tooling, as well as my carbide lathe bits! :grin big:
The dimensions of the wheels are 6" diameter X 3/4" thick with a 1" arbor hole.
Delrin%2BArbor%2BSpacer%2B1.jpg

The problem is that my ol' 6" grinder has a 5/8" shaft, i'll need to make an arbor bushing!....
i have a bunch of materials to choose from.
i wanted something easy to machine, durable, and resilient-
Delrin can fit the build!
i turned and drilled an arbor spacer from 1.5" delrin rod on the 1974 Hercus ARH 9x22.
Delrin cuts like butter and is an excellent material suited for many creations!
here's a shot of the plug being formed
Delrin%2BArbor%2BSpacer%2B2.jpg
the dimensions of the finished arbor spacer is 1.00"od x .625" id x .855" thick
Delrin%2BArbor%2BSpacer%2B3.jpg

heres a picture of the reassembled and trued wheel on the old pedestal grinder!
gpuC85XrPb-lZ3yz2I9x5DkCO7Z2W7t2JEWTt4yW2ow=w958-h683-no.jpg
the wheel on the right is the 100 grit Green Wheel.

i was already able to sharpen some scraper bits to great success!!!!!:grin:

Thanks middle.road!!!!!!!!:high 5:

I hear that the green wheel is for carbide BUT is it green in color, I should see about getting one

I hear that the green wheel is for carbide BUT is it green in color, I should see about getting one

Yup , greeen wheels are definitely green. They are nice for roughing a carbide bit, for finishing I like a diamond wheel with a finer grit. If you don't already know, carbide dust is not good good for you, wear a mask.

michael

Nice! I made a couple of spacers for my bench grinder as the old ones were out axially and radially. Made a huge difference to both the grinding (ie, all of the wheel!) and vibration.

Excellent work as usual Mike! I just got a new 8" grinder and stand from Enco with the 25% off and free shipping last month. I need to replace the adapters that came with mine as they are out in every direction. I have to keep a foot on the pedastle so it does not walk away. I dressed both wheels which helped but not 100%

I have a local plastic supplier that has Deldrin, PVC, teflon and other assorted plastics in plate and round sizes up to 6" round and 4" plate. I raid their cutoff bin on a regular basis. Nylatron is the best low speed bushing material I have ever found. Deldrin can be sharpened to a knife edge with ease. Reducing bushings are standard fair in my shop. I try to use grinding stones all the way up! And UD, I think one of my bench grinders is yours twin

Back