1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Depth Of Cut On A Bp Mill....?

Discussion in 'A BEGINNER'S FORUM (Learn How To Machine Here!)' started by EmilioG, Jan 4, 2017.

1. EmilioG

EmilioG United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    HUNTINGTON
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

I've used Bridgeport mills exclusively and have no other mill experience.
    So far so good, but was wondering about setting the quill/knee height to use end mills.
    Q: Should the quill be retracted with the spindle extended as little as possible or is it better
    to raise the knee as far as possible to minimize lowering the spindle or does it matter?

I figure that extending the spindle/quill as little as possible is better to reduce vibration?
    I usually raise the table as much as I can for the work/cutter length/depth of cut.
    General milling question.

2. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

It is a much more rigid operation to leave the quill at the top of its stroke and locked, and then use the knee to produce the cut, with gibs dragging slightly. The quill is designed for light drilling and boring, nothing else. Minimizing the distance between knee and head also increases rigidity. Yes, it is more convenient to use the quill, but you are giving up a lot for the convenience.

EmilioG, Ulma Doctor, FOMOGO and 3 others like this.
  3. EmilioG

EmilioG United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    HUNTINGTON
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Great. That is what I thought. I have locked the quill in other that fully retracted but now I'll make sure it is all the way up.. :) Thanks

4. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Yup, as @Bob Korves says, minimum quill extension and locked. Raise the work to the tool with the knee.

talvare and EmilioG like this.