1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Digital Calipers Can Be Fixed

Discussion in 'METROLOGY - MEASURE, SETUP & FIT' started by randyjaco, Nov 2, 2016.

1. randyjaco

randyjaco Reserved Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Friendswood
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I picked up a Starrett 12" digital caliper in a deal. The problem was that the spring shim which controls the ease of movement of the caliper was missing. Without it the calipers won't function properly. I tried Starrett, New England Gauge and others. No one supports a digital caliper. Starrett didn't even have a parts diagram for it and their tech guy had no idea of what I needed.
    The caliper listed for @$230 and I wasn't about to toss it .

I decided to try to make the part. Since it was a very small and I only had an idea of what the dimensions might be, I decided to disassemble an old Harbor Freight caliper I had. Well I'll be damned. The HF shim fit perfectly. I now have a fully functional Starrett 797 caliper.

Just a reminder if you need parts for your high dollar electronic caliper, spare parts may only be as far as your local Harbor Freight dealer

Randy

royesses, tweinke, ch2co and 2 others like this.
  2. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Nice fix.
    Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

3. master of none

master of none H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Brooksville
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

So now I'm wondering is the high price caliper worth the money if the low priced caliper parts fit the high price ones? I know that there is more to it than just a spring shim but aren't electronic just about the same?I my be totally off base here. Rick