• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Digital Calipers Can Be Fixed

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I picked up a Starrett 12" digital caliper in a deal. The problem was that the spring shim which controls the ease of movement of the caliper was missing. Without it the calipers won't function properly. I tried Starrett, New England Gauge and others. No one supports a digital caliper. Starrett didn't even have a parts diagram for it and their tech guy had no idea of what I needed.
The caliper listed for @$230 and I wasn't about to toss it .

I decided to try to make the part. Since it was a very small and I only had an idea of what the dimensions might be, I decided to disassemble an old Harbor Freight caliper I had. Well I'll be damned. The HF shim fit perfectly. I now have a fully functional Starrett 797 caliper.

Just a reminder if you need parts for your high dollar electronic caliper, spare parts may only be as far as your local Harbor Freight dealer

Randy

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nice fix.
Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

master of none

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
So now I'm wondering is the high price caliper worth the money if the low priced caliper parts fit the high price ones? I know that there is more to it than just a spring shim but aren't electronic just about the same?I my be totally off base here. Rick

[6]
[5] [7]