Digital Calipers Can Be Fixed

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Starrett 12" digital caliper in a deal. The problem was that the spring shim which controls the ease of movement of the caliper was missing. Without it the calipers won't function properly. I tried Starrett, New England Gauge and others. No one supports a digital caliper. Starrett didn't even have a parts diagram for it and their tech guy had no idea of what I needed.
The caliper listed for @$230 and I wasn't about to toss it .

I decided to try to make the part. Since it was a very small and I only had an idea of what the dimensions might be, I decided to disassemble an old Harbor Freight caliper I had. Well I'll be damned. The HF shim fit perfectly. I now have a fully functional Starrett 797 caliper.

Just a reminder if you need parts for your high dollar electronic caliper, spare parts may only be as far as your local Harbor Freight dealer

Randy

Nice fix.
Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

So now I'm wondering is the high price caliper worth the money if the low priced caliper parts fit the high price ones? I know that there is more to it than just a spring shim but aren't electronic just about the same?I my be totally off base here. Rick

Back