[How do I?] Drill Chuck Shank Slipping In Tailstock

kyler

Active User
Registered
I have a Logan 820 lathe and recently the drill chuck shank has started slipping (sporadically) in the tailstock.

I've been search the web and see a lot of discussions but most say replace or ream the tailstock. As a neophyte, I'm thinking some basic TLC might be the place to start.

What is the "approved" maintenance on the tailstock? I've wiped-down to chuck shank and the inside of the tailstock, that helped but didn't cure the issue. Is it okay to take some emery paper and lightly sand the surfaces?

First you have to find the real problem. Get some Dykem high spot ink (or equivalent), smear a very thin coating (transparent) over the clean male taper, put it in clean socket, rotate it about 90 degrees, and then carefully remove it. You should use a new male taper or at least one that is in perfect condition and has been lightly stoned to remove any burs. Inspect the pattern on the male part. Where the Dykem has been rubbed off is where you have contact, and where it looks the same as before there is no contact. A Morse taper reamer used carefully and lightly can improve the quill taper, and you can stone any burs or high spots on the male tapers or replace any bad tapers that are causing problems. Do NOT randomly remove metal by sanding, filing, or otherwise! All work should be minimal and directed toward known issues.

You might remove the slide from the tail stock. Look about half way down the length. See if there is a cross hole drilled off center on the slide. You may just be missing the pin that keeps the flat on the Morse Tapered from rotating.

Randy

thanks all - I'll try the above and see what happens.

Back