Drill press choice?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have two drill presses in the shop. An old Rockwell table model (outstanding for small stuff) and a newer Powermatic 2800 (not good for metal). I will likely sell the PM to make space but perhaps I would keep it for woodworking only.

I am evaluating new or used presses for metalworking and want to "buy once". I want a floor model that can drill a 1" hole in 1/2" steel plate easily.

I am thinking it should have at least 18" capacity and I'd like the ability to mount a laser centerpoint indicator on it. I may use it occasionally for woodworking but my buying motive is strictly to improve my capacity for drilling metal. I would like it to weigh less than 750 pounds so I could move it without too much trouble with an engine hoist.

Looking for insights and recommendations.

If cost isn't a consideration I would go with an Ellis. Super machine!
I don't know where you are located, but I have a reconditioned 20" Clausing, I am selling for $2k. It's also a great machine.
Randy

Thanks Randy, yes I have seen the Ellis. A friend has an Ellis bandsaw and that's how I came to become familiar with them and as you know, it is made in the USA. Looks like they sell one variant now, the Ellis 9400.

In the spirit of buying once, I have it on the list for consideration.

duplicate post deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
For the money old will be the way to go. And old stuff is just better.

This makes me want to get my old Atlas drill press cleaned up. I'd about given up on it because it's so heavy and hard to adjust, but the shiny post on those makes me think with some TLC I make it a lot more user friendly. It does have that nice thunk-whirrr sound.

I am evaluating new or used presses for metalworking and want to "buy once". I want a floor model that can drill a 1" hole in 1/2" steel plate easily.

If your mainly wanting big holes in steel perhaps a mag drill ? I've been lusting after one lately and have noticed even the cheep ones seem to be quite versatile.

:)

Stuart

Thanks for all the input thus far.

I dug in deeper on the Ellis and spoke to them today on the phone.

The machine is made of imported castings, quill, motor, VFD, etc. They assemble it here and then test it. So my belief that it was made in the USA was in error. It is assembled in the USA from mostly Chinese parts and pieces. The VFD is Japanese. After assembly it is tested by drilling several holes, tuned as necessary, and then crated here for shipment.

Okay, looks like a US made machine is not available but this one is still a very nice drill press. It would be a big plus in my shop.

Meanwhile, I am continuing the hunt for an American made 18 to 20 inch machine. I have a milling machine and do not want a mill/drill. I also have a very fine table model Rockwell from the late 50's early 60's.

Back