Drill Press Tapper

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Finished this Hand-Tapper for my Drill Press last night.

"Billy G" :whistle:

ht (700 x 525).jpg

looks interesting. how is this one designed to work?

I'm guessing you whack it with the broomstick to "tap" it. :dunno:

Steve

Don't have a lot of time right now. Later I will put it in the Drill Press and show how it works. Basically you put it in the chuck then put the Tap you want in the smaller chuck. Lift the handle with the knob on it. The unit drops to the workpiece. Set the stop (large disk) to your required depth. Turn with the handwheel and you are there.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Have never seen one anything like that, please do show it in action.

OK Pic #1 is mounted in the Drill Press --- Pic #2 is handle up, tapper down. --- pic#3 is my mitt turning the tapper. and Pic #4 shows the lip against the depth stop. Tapping a 7/16-14 in this sequence. Somehow the sequence is out of order. Pic 1 is 3. Pic 2 is 4. Pic 3 is 2 and Pic 4 is 1.

"Billy G" :))

ntp 001 (700 x 525).jpg ntp 002 (700 x 525).jpg ntp 003 (700 x 525).jpg ntp 004 (700 x 525).jpg

Often Bill often! Broomstick, screwdriver handle, PB hammer, Ball peen hammer, the world is my nail!

I get it I think

the white handle seen on the right operates a catch to keep the rig up and out of the way for work positioning/clamping.

The wheel gizmo to the Left side is a stop and I suspect is round because it is threaded for adjustment via the vertical shaft.

The big silver wheel is an AL hand wheel that turns freely over the central shaft that is chucked in the DP for alignment but not power. power is by hand.

The broomstick was just a tease to out heavyhandedcavemantypeslikeme.

Nice rig and would come in very handy.

Steve

Last edited:
Back