DRO installation

knifer-one

Active User
Registered
Has anybody installed a DRO on their milling machine? I am considering a DRO-pros 2 axis on my Grizzly 0619 mill. It looks like something that I could do,but I would like to get some input from someone that has done it.

I installed one on my lathe, and re-installed the one on my mill after I moved it. It's seems daunting at first, but it's really a easy job-just takes time to get everything lined up.

I bought a kit for my SX3 on ebay after seeing threads on other forums detailing the installation. The kit contained everything needed for the installation, but the instructions were not as good as they could have been.

As it turned out there were no problems fitting the kit and I wouldn't ever want to be without it.

I bought a kit for my SX3 on ebay after seeing threads on other forums detailing the installation. The kit contained everything needed for the installation, but the instructions were not as good as they could have been.

As it turned out there were no problems fitting the kit and I wouldn't ever want to be without it.

Could you give us the seller of the kit you bought? and where the install article appeared? unlesss that would be an infringement... otherwise i would like to have it for my own SX# ( Griz 0619)
joe

Hi,
I have installed 2 sets on milling machines and one on a lathe, and I have the scales for both my shapers here to install it on them as well.
I would recommend installing the X scale on the front of the table so you don't loose any travel. I did a right up a while ago here about installing it on the front.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-of-table-HM50-52-Grizzly-3616-3617&highlight=

As for buying one, I bought 2 from Meister off ebay and the other from the Sino guy on ebay. Both have great customer service and arrive quick to your door. They are pretty well all the same, but are a lot cheaper than DRO Pro's, from memory the 2 axis is around $400 and the 3 axis is around $550. Over the years I have only heard one complaint which was a broken scale through postage which was from the Sino guy (which could happen to anyone) and it was replaced promptly.
This Sino fellow will upgrade your scales to slim line for $20 an axis extra or up grade to 0.001 scale for $20 an axis extra.
I highly recommend both these sellers.

If your like most including me, it all seems high tech and a daunting task when buying your first one, but after you get one and install it you will see how simple they really are. The scales are very robust in construction and the cables come shielded from swarf and coolant. The main screen will come with a clear plastic protective cover on brands standard. I ordered an extra one with the Meister's, but have never needed it in 4 + years.

I have had these running for 4-5 years and never had a problem. I am pretty sure they are all coming out the same factory, just with different names and screen layouts, so it is more about saving a few dollars when looking to buy one. The prices have come down a lot over the years, when I bought mine back then it cost me $2150 for the 2 X 3 axis Meister sets with 7 scales.

Dave

I will just add, when installing the scales just remember to measure twice and drill once. The cast iron will drill easily, but make sure you have some metric taps and drill bits on hand as they get supplied with metric hardware.

You will wonder how you ever lived without it once you have it installed and use it. I remember when I took my mill apart for cleaning and needed to mill something before the scales where re installed, I forgot how much trouble it was turning and counting hand wheels. LOL

Dave

Back