Dro Z Axis - Quill Or Head?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
After browsing some threads I see guys are installing the Z axis DRO on the head/column instead of the quill. Which for these hand crank dovetail column bench mills doesn't make much sense to me. Then I saw some later installed a digital caliper type gauge on the quill which is where I'm thinking I should install my DRO Z axis in the first place.

To me the hand crank (or power Z up/down for those who have them) is to roughly position the head for a job then you lock the gibs so the head doesn't move and use the quill micro feed or quill feed arms to do your machining hence doesn't it make more sense to install the DRO Z axis on the quill to begin with?

But I'd like to hear from you guys who installed the DRO Z axis on the head/column, have you found that useful and for what?

Progress, I flipped the gear levers upside down clearing a 2.5 x 9 inch area down the center of the head for the DRO scale. Bill and DZ where are you two trouble makers?

I have both. The DRO for the head is not really that useful to me, I could live without it. The DRO on the quill is essential for me. I considered mounting a glass scale for the quill to be used on my DRO display (& trying modding my DRO for a 4th axis) but after using my Mitutoyo scale on the quill for a bit I prefer to just use the Mitu scale. Although I could take advantage of more features from the ES-12 display I find it much more easier to read the Mitu scale on the front of the head during manual drilling & milling to depth rather than having to look over to the side at my DRO. So I decided to keep both & have the best of both worlds.

I don't like using the quill for Z. Further it extends from the head, you get more slop/less rigidity. Especially in these smaller bench mills that don't have a very stout quill to start with.

Besides, the column/head scale mount works great for me. Ignorance is bliss... :D

Bjorn: I wanted a four-axis (head and quill summed) for the mill but just couldn't swing the expense.

NOTE: a digital scale on my quill is in the works for the rare occasions where I have to plunge into a pocket or precisely control the depth of drilling.

I would use some form of axis summing, if you use the quill to set the tool height and then move the column or head to cut without extending the quill. Tim

After a day of thinking this over...I am increasingly annoyed there's no Haas Mini Mill 2 in my garage ETA on that order 9/30/2015. DZ that's what I thought you would say, also I pilfered photos and ideas from your mill thread earlier :grin:. You know with a Haas inbound in a few months if I'm honest all I really need on this mill is one of those Mitutoyo scales on the quill. I wish I would have thought of that before ordering the DRO maybe I'll just toss the DRO kit on the ebay. Yes I'm quite liking that idea actually. After the wallet bruising I took on the mill electrical recently I am already thinking I should halt spending on this manual mill and throw the money at Haas options. The electrical had to be done, a DRO is optional really.

I am pondering the same question for use on my G0755. I e-mailed dro pros with the question about using a 4 axis and combining the inputs from the quill and the column. Their recommendation was to skip the 4 axis and either go with a 3 axis on the column, or a 3 axis on the quill. I think I have come to the conclusion that I would find the input on the quill much more useful, I can not see how I could use the column for precision positioning and the only case where it may be useful would be if I have to move the head to change something and need to return to the same zero point for depth control on something. Cost wise I think I am going to go with a 2 axis system with an inexpensive indicator on the quill, this will give be 98%-99% of the functionality without the added expense.

Interesting comment about how you can't see how you could use the column for precision positioning. I can, and have controlled DOC to tenths using the head/column interface. Just an observation, not a critique. Use what's comfortable for you. :)

Interesting comment about how you can't see how you could use the column for precision positioning. I can, and have controlled DOC to tenths using the head/column interface. Just an observation, not a critique. Use what's comfortable for you. :)

My comment was based on initially playing around with the controls on the mill since taking delivery, I am still working on getting power to my mill to be able to actually work on anything. Maybe my impression on this will change with time, but right now the head position on the column seems to be a very coarse adjustment. I still like the idea of the 4 axis DRO combining the two inputs on the Z axis (I am a sucker for gadgets) and I may still try to figure this option out.

Back