Drum switch ... does this sound correct??

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok I also have a drum switch question. Mine is a Furnas. I cannot read the model, but verified with a meter that it works as below.
Switch.JPG
I am wiring this to a new Grizzly G2528 1/2hp motor on my old Logan Lathe. Currently wiring 110. Drum switch is serviceable, but was not hooked up to original motor (at least since I have had the lathe).
The wiring for this motor is below.
motor.JPG

I have had a heck of a time figuring this out. But I think I have it, does this sound correct??
Black from 110v power to terminal 5.
Jumper terminal 5 to terminal 3.
Terminal 6 to motor Wt/BK.
Terminal 4 to motor BL6
White from 110v power to terminal 2.
Also, Terminal 2 to motor Rd/Yl.
Terminal 1 to BL5.
If rotation is backwards vs switch ... swop BL5 & BL6.

This should work to reverse the rotation (I think), however is it kosher to have the white from power cord on the same terminal as the Rd/Yl to motor? Obviously due to them being on the same terminal, the Rd/Yl will always be "live" ... even with drum switch off. I will actually have a separate on/off switch (with panic button) mounted between plug and drum switch ... so maybe this is not an issue.

Is there a better way to do this?

As always ... thanks for the response,
Ed

Switch.JPG motor.JPG

I don't know if it is better or not, but I just posted what I did in another thread on a similar subject. Since I have the file uploaded, I can include it here just as easily.

View attachment MillWiring.pdf

I had a heck of a time getting mine figured out as well. When I got the mill, the motor was on it, the wires were hanging out, the connections were all messed up, but if plugged in it would run only in the forward direction. It didn't take me too long to figure out a solution, and the pdf shows what I came up with. It works just fine, but if you switch from forward to reverse without letting the motor stop first, it will just keep running in the forward direction. That is a problem that is inherent with single phase motors, not with the way it is wired to the switch. That's what I've been told anyway.

Thanks Terry.

The jumper on the switch and having the neutral running right to the motor would be somewhat similar to what I am thinking (but my neutral and wire to motor are connected at terminal 2).

Looks like you have 8 wires in the motor vs my 6 (I'll really only have 4 coming to the switch, including neutral). So in forward your red and blue are not live? OR is one feeding the other? And then in reverse, the blue and black are dead? Or maybe the blue has power coming back from the motor?

Different motor set up for sure. All I have to do is reverse the two blue wires to change the rotation. But if yours works, it works.

And I believe you are 100% correct on changing direction. I'm a little leery on that anyway, with the threaded chucks on the Logans (which is why I never messed with the switch before).

With mine the red and blue are connected in forward, and the black is connected to line voltage. In reverse, the red is connected to line voltage and the black is connected to the blue.

The blue wire, which connects to terminal #4 on the motor is just a piece of wire that I had and made use of. It's color means nothing. On my motor, the red and black wires are just like your two blue wires. They are the two that needed to be switched to get reverse, according to the motor manufacturer's information. The white and yellow motor leads always get connected to line voltage, and the yellow/black wire always connects to neutral.

To have the neutral switched would require one more pole in the switch, thus the reason that the neutral is wired direct to the motor.

I have not yet installed a drum switch on my lathe, nor do I intend to. Instant on in reverse scares me a bit, I don't want to end up with a chuck in my lap on short notice. I do plan to put a 3 phase motor and a VFD on the lathe at some point in the not too distant future, and eventually on my mill also. Having reverse on the lathe would be nice, but the soft start capabilities that are included with a VFD should circumvent most problems with the chuck coming loose in reverse.

Ahh ... makes more sense now. I was thinking the red & blue on yours were the ones needing switched. So, yours is set up the same as what I described above ... except you have an additional wire from your motor. I'm guessin gon yours that motor terminal 4 probably is connected to terminal #1 someplace in teh motor. In that case, my set uo would actually match what you have.

I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Thanks again,
Ed

Take the neutral wire straight to the neutral connection in the motor. Take the live(hot) and connect it to 5 on the switch, take a wire from 6 on the switch to the live(hot) connection on the motor. Disconnect the two blue wires( the "switch to reverse" pair) from the wire nuts, extend them to the reversing switch and connect them to 1 and 4. take two wires from 2 and 3 to the motor and connect them to the wirenuts you just removed the blue wires from. this way, 5 and 6 will break the live(hot) line to switch off, and the reversing part of the switch will swap the connections on the start winding to provide forward and reverse. if forward and reverse are the wrong way round on the switch, swap over the wires on 1 and 4 in the switch.
Phil
UK

Take the neutral wire straight to the neutral connection in the motor. Take the live(hot) and connect it to 5 on the switch, take a wire from 6 on the switch to the live(hot) connection on the motor. Disconnect the two blue wires( the "switch to reverse" pair) from the wire nuts, extend them to the reversing switch and connect them to 1 and 4. take two wires from 2 and 3 to the motor and connect them to the wirenuts you just removed the blue wires from. this way, 5 and 6 will break the live(hot) line to switch off, and the reversing part of the switch will swap the connections on the start winding to provide forward and reverse. if forward and reverse are the wrong way round on the switch, swap over the wires on 1 and 4 in the switch.
Phil
UK
If you draw it out, you are essentially saying what I first said. Except instead of jumping switch 5 to 3, you are running to the motor and back to switch, and instead of putting the neutral on the switch and running a wire to the motor ... your going to the motor and then back to switch. 2 extra wires if I count right.

But, thanks as it does validate what I was thinking.

Yes, I just re read it and you're right, I couldn't fully comprehend the description, so I worked through it and found a way that I could show would work. I assume the reversing switch has an off position as well. On systems like this you should stop the motor and brake it to a stop before reversing. Going straight from forward into reverse is not good for the motor windings. Have you got it done and running yet? Does the machines feed cable go into the motor or the switch? My wiring assumed it went to the motor. Hope it worked ok.
Phi,l UK

Does the machines feed cable go into the motor or the switch? My wiring assumed it went to the motor. Hope it worked ok.
Phi,l UK
Now that you mention it ... that is the difference. I am going power>switch>motor. Got side tracked last evening, maybe this weekend I'll have a little time.

Again, thanks for the confirmation.

Phil
UK

I almost got this. I just got confused when you said take two wires from 2 and 3 to the motor and connect them to the wirenuts you just removed the blue wires from. Is there any way you could draw a simplified schematic I have the exact same set up that I'm trying to hook up.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Francois

Back