Eagle Rock scissor knurl that wasn't what I expected.

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace
I found an Eagle Rock scissor knurl tool on ebay and the guy took a $20 offer on it. When I got it it wasn't exactly what I was expecting:

What's the problem? The working range was 2" to 4" diameter. It's not that often I need to knurl anything over 2"
Knurl 1781.JPG

So I came up wit the following to give me a 0 to 2" range. I needed to have two pivot points rather than one so I came up with the following parts.
Two plates, 2 spacers, 2 new pivot points and a part to mount the whole thing in a tool holder.
Knurl 1782.JPG

Here it is partially assembled. I had to modify one half of the tool with a .100" deep counter bore.
Knurl 1783.JPG

And then completely assembled showing it set for 0"
Knurl 1784.JPG

Then just a sample to show that it actually works.
Knurl 1785.JPG

Gary

Knurl 1781.JPG Knurl 1782.JPG Knurl 1783.JPG Knurl 1784.JPG Knurl 1785.JPG

Looks a million percent better and I bet it has more leverage with your mod, Gary.

Pretty cool mod on turning it into a 0-1".

In case you don't have it already, add another nut for locking on top of the adjuster nut. Under higher pressures that adjusting nut will tend to back out. I replaced mine with a nylock nut.

Img_5873.jpg

Looks a million percent better and I bet it has more leverage with your mod, Gary.

How much would you like to bet$:thinking: I would be willing to drive to the beach to pick up a couple of pepsis. havn't been there since 82-86, can't say i miss the place though.

Roy.

Pretty cool mod on turning it into a 0-1".

In case you don't have it already, add another nut for locking on top of the adjuster nut. Under higher pressures that adjusting nut will tend to back out. I replaced mine with a nylock nut.

Img_5873.jpg

I've never had a problem with mine backing off even under a lot of pressure.

Paul

I've never had a problem with mine backing off even under a lot of pressure.

Paul

I have the K1-44 which is their HD model. It comes stock with an additional nut for locking. The standard K1-201 like Gary's does not. I mainly knurl Ti 6-4 & the adjusting nut will easily back off when running a fully formed knurl if the locking nut is not tight. I need to run convex wheel, carbide pins, & pin the tool post when I fully form Ti.

Sometimes I can get away with not pining the tool post but I rather not take the chances any more. I've had it move plenty of times & no matter how hard I crank down on the tool post lock nut. Not a good feeling when it does slip.

Img_9950.jpg

Img_5863.jpg

Img_4210.jpg

Img_0889.jpg

Img_3151.jpg

108690_zpsac33c8a0.jpg

Last edited:
Darkzero: those are some of the nicest knurls i've ever seen. Beautiful work!

Marcel

Thank you very much Marcel!

Back