Electrical Discharge Machine Version 2 (edmv2)

Yes, in industry it is a different machine.
Exactly why, or if there are any "combination" machines is beyond me.

-brino

Rabbit Hole *WARNING* !
OK, now I'm remembering a misc. box of 'junque' from an auction 5+ years ago with some electrodes in it.
The question is can I find it? or better yet do I still have it?
(Too many boxes of junque around here...)

kind of old thread... but -
Just a thought. Would silicone bronze Tig filler work. You know, that 1/16 inch bronze filler. I only scanned throughout this so I forgot the thickness of the lead pencils mentioned. And not sure if the silicone is a problem. Anyway, just thought I’d throw that out there.
Broken tap removers are really cool. I bought that book and read up and was planning on a build.... but life got in the way.
Anyway, cool stuff Brino.

Yesterday, I got pulled into a rabbit hole about a shop-made wire EDM. Extremely cool, but by the end of the day I realized it would cost more than I can commit to it right now. (Check out videos by BaxEDM; follow at your own risk.) I decided to stick to a plunge-type unit for now. I have a doorbell EDM, but I feel the need for something more impressive. Plus, I'm between rabbit holes ... I mean projects ... right now.

This morning, I found this thread. I'm amazed at how close all of your thinking is to my own - right down to sizing the LED resistors. I'm planning on reworking a microwave transformer for my power supply. I figured I could fit 33 turns of the wire I want to use into the secondary slots. Based on the open-circuit voltage my spot welder puts out,the open-circuit voltage with 33 turns will be (wait for it) 84 volts. [Edit: Just wound the secondary - only got 30 VAC out of it. Guess I'll be shopping for a roll of wire.]

Has anyone tried tungsten electrodes for small diameter holes? Just wondering.

Yesterday, I got pulled into a rabbit hole about a shop-made wire EDM. Extremely cool, but by the end of the day I realized it would cost more than I can commit to it right now. (Check out videos by BaxEDM; follow at your own risk.) I decided to stick to a plunge-type unit for now. I have a doorbell EDM, but I feel the need for something more impressive. Plus, I'm between rabbit holes ... I mean projects ... right now.
Mike, I hope you share your build too!
I figure it we could save each-other some time with lessons learned along the way.

Has anyone tried tungsten electrodes for small diameter holes? Just wondering.

I did in this very thread.
I'll see if I can find a link to it......

-brino

EDIT:
@f350ca asked about TIG electrodes here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...rge-machine-version-2-edmv2.49689/post-447011

...and I tried them and posted results here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...rge-machine-version-2-edmv2.49689/post-449538

Thanks, Brino. I had skipped ahead yesterday to see how the story ended. I went back today and found your mention of tungsten.

I have a spare drill chuck, which I will use to hold some electrodes, but I'm also planning to use some plastic or brass "endmill holders" so that I can send some dielectric through the tubular electrodes, when I use them. Just to improve particle removal. So many little side details we can get into as we go along. First, I need to rewire the power supply transformer. It's getting hard to find copper wire these days. Most of what Amazon and eBay sell now are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Guaranteed not to last very long.

Hi Brino: Back in the 70s I built an EDM from an article in either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics- simple, ran off the mains. Voltage doubler, a couple caps and a couple incandescent bulbs for ballast instead of big resistors. Hand feed, with a crank. Kerosene, never had a fire. I remember graphite made the best tool, from carbon zinc batteries. Lasted the longest. I think pencil lead isn't conductive enough, or something. I also remember the kerosene would get black very quickly, never did build a filter system but it needed one
Great job on yours! :)
-Mark

Back