Ellis saw owners - 2 questions for you.

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have an Ellis and have two questions for those experienced with the saws:

1. Can you pull the cam lock handle on the standard vise and swap sides with it? I have put the cam lock vise on the right hand side of my saw. Therefore I now want the locking handle on the right vs. the left to get it out of the trajectory of the saw frame. Looks like you can pull the set screw and then pull the shaft and swap it around. Have any of you done that?

Ellis vises.jpg

2. What setting do you normally run the hydraulic cylinder throttling valve at on your saw. For most cuts I have been using it at 1 1/2 or 2. Of course I open it up wide to drop the saw in a hurry and then set it there before it touches down.

Ellis control valve.jpg

Hi Alan,

Yes, simply pull out the set screw and swap it out with the handle. As far as metering the down feed, it will depend on material thickness your cutting. My older model does not have graduations on the valve,but watching the chip production coming off the blade and sound during cutting works for me. Like most of my machines I have developed a "feel" during operation.

Hi Alan,

Yes, simply pull out the set screw and swap it out with the handle. As far as metering the down feed, it will depend on material thickness your cutting. My older model does not have graduations on the valve,but watching the chip production coming off the blade and sound during cutting works for me. Like most of my machines I have developed a "feel" during operation.

I have nothing more to add, as Paco covered everything perfectly. :encourage:

Thanks for the tip on the vise handle! I have had mine for 18 months on the right side of the table and never thought of switching it over to the other side.

Wonder why Ellis chooses a different color for the quick vise? I think it would look nicer if it matched the rest of the saw, like Randy's!! lol

Wonder why Ellis chooses a different color for the quick vise? I think it would look nicer if it matched the rest of the saw, like Randy's!! lol

They must have been out of the correct paint that day. ;)

Nah, that's what the Taiwanese factory used. They must be color blind or Rustoleum challenged.

Nah, that's what the Taiwanese factory used. They must be color blind or Rustoleum challenged.

Actually Alan, Ellis is a completely American made product. Their factory is just down the road from me.

Actually Alan, Ellis is a completely American made product. Their factory is just down the road from me.

In the last 10 months I bought their Model 1600 saw and their drill press. With spending that much cash, I did a lot of research. I talked to some of the Ellis family members that own and run the company on multiple occasions. I dug deep to understand what I would get in the crates. As you know, their stuff is not inexpensive but their reputation for quality is good.

Don't want to bust your bubble Randy but the quickcam vise as well as their drill press is made in Taiwan. The drill press is imported with only very minor finishing done here at their place. They import them and then configure the VFD, test it by drilling a couple of larger diameter holes in steel plate, and then crate for shipping. I had to replace one of the crappy chinese belts that came on it. I called them and they were going to send me another belt if they had something other than Chinese. It never came so I bought a Gates locally.

Their saws are still made here and they proudly put the American flag on them. I don't remember if they are making the larger screw vises themselves or not.

Regardless their drill press is a thing of beauty and the quality is top shelf other than the worthless Chinese belt. Their quickcam vises are okay and have two of them, the drill press version and the version for the saw. BTW, I also have their larger screw vise on the saw with matching paint! So maybe it is made here, don't remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back