Er25 Collet Chuck For Atlas 618

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
thought this might be useful, especially with an extra special ingredient - hex stock for the chuck body! That way I can also use it to cut flats on the mill :)

This was partly inspired by the one on deans photographica website, which is a rich source of project info. Especially useful were the gears needed to cut a 1.5mm pitch thread. http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/ER25/ER25.html

stock left over from cutting of the piece I needed
IMG_4462.JPG
sawn end faced off. Lots of really light cuts with this much stick out and interrupted cutsIMG_4447.JPG
spindle hole drilled and bored out, with spindle register and threading relief (you can just see it at the back) cut ready for threading
IMG_4461.JPG
threading done :) I'm still amazed when this works out!IMG_4464.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
the spindle nose copy I made for my 4 jaw back plate was really useful here - this was only the 2nd test fit and it went on very smoothly
IMG_4463.JPG
threaded onto the spindle :)
IMG_4465.JPG
The cap end rough turned round. I'll turn it to the thread OD and cut the relief later today. I'm on a mission - prep for next semester starts in earnest on Monday plus 2 job applications due then too!
IMG_4466.JPG

thanks man! Making good progress so far and fingers crossed the rest will go smoothly :)

Cut to the thread OD and relief for the collet nut
IMG_4467.JPG
32x1.5mm thread cut
IMG_4468.JPG
nut threads on smoothly the whole way :) Those dings in the body will get filed off when I'm finished.
IMG_4469.JPG

drilled out to 5/8in and then bored to 0.7in - a bit larger than the ID of the largest collet (16mm)
IMG_4470.JPG
compound set to 82deg (ER collets have a 16deg included angle or 8deg per side) and the mouth bored out. I was having trouble getting good readings from the collet about the angle last night plus it was 18F in there, so I left the final finish cuts/ grinding for today. I have plenty of thread and throat depth to play with though, so I'm not too worried about taking more cuts.
IMG_4471.JPG

Looking good Matt! :encourage:

thanks Jim! It's the taper step that's making me worried - I wish I had some of that high spot paste that Dean used as a sharpie isn't quite cutting it.

Get some oil paint from the art supply store, works great for high spot printing.

Nice work so far!

ooh, that's a great idea Andre, thanks! We have tons of art supplies just under the futon I'm sitting on, so I'm sure I'd be able to find something suitable :)

Nice work Matt. I also have a 618 and may put this on the "to do list". I all ready have the ER collets with the MT2 arbor, but it would be nice to be able to put longer pieces through the spindle.

Perhaps you could also put a link in the Atlas Lathe forum.

David

Back