ER40 Shank for lathe (MT3)

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I recently bought an ETM ER40 collet setup for my mill. It is a set with a full complement of ER40 collets and R8 holder.

Mark Jacobs gave me some advice on a MT3 shank so I could use them on my lathe as well. There aren't too many MT3 shank options out there for ER40 collets. Mark shared his experience and also gave me some tips on adding a tang on the end so it would not rotate under use in the tail stock of a lathe.

The shank is a Shars and appears to be well made. Add to it a Maritool bearing cap, make a tang and you have what I think is decent tool holder for the tail stock of a lathe. (EDIT: also can use it in my drill press.)

Based on Mark's advice, I made a tang this morning. His coaching was spot on as usual.

Here are some photos:
Finished.jpg Milling tang.jpg KMG grinding tang.jpg ER40 Tang being polished.jpg Tang ready to go in.jpg Finished.jpg ER40 in Ellis.jpg ER40 in 1340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, I need to buy some 2 morse tooling for my atlas mill . Planing on getting set up with er 32 collets, with an r8 arbor with er 32 . Ill only need one kind of collets. With the screw in tail pin I can use it in the drill press or tailstock . Thanks

really nice, think i'll do that on mine also. I went with the er40 blocks also to keep everything in the shop the same collets

rich

Great idea, I need to buy some 2 morse tooling for my atlas mill . Planing on getting set up with er 32 collets, with an r8 arbor with er 32 . Ill only need one kind of collets. With the screw in tail pin I can use it in the drill press or tailstock . Thanks
Silver, we can thank Mark for the idea.

Yes, I agree with you that it is a good idea. I think your choice of ER32 is a good one and I think the shanks are available. There are lots of shanks on ebay with shipping from China. While I bought a chinese made Shars, I did not feel good about buying one of the chinese shipped versions.

Nice job, Alan!
Thanks Mike,
I appreciate your coaching as well since you have also coached me into the collet world and I now have both 5C's and ER40's. Who knows, maybe I will add some ER32's and 16's to be sure I have a more significant part of the collet universe covered!

Alan,
I'm not sure who's ER40 x MT3 chuck you bought. It looks like a nice one. Can you tell us the brand and source?

Nice job on the tang.

Alan,
I'm not sure who's ER40 x MT3 chuck you bought. It looks like a nice one. Can you tell us the brand and source?

Nice job on the tang.

The brand is Shars and I bought it via their ebay store. In my limited searching for Shars tooling it was quickly apparent that it is cheaper to buy their stuff on their ebay store than through their website. Their ebay store is called "discount_machine". They are one of the best ebay vendors I have dealt with in terms of communication on status, shipping, etc. I am now generally opposed to buying chinese tooling if there are other options but this piece seems okay.

The bearing cap I bought was based on recommendations from Mark and others and is from Maritool. My friends had it right, this makes the holder even higher quality since it improves the way the collet is tightened down. The center of the collet nut have to slide/spin on the collet, it simply compresses it. Maritool sells a special spanner for this nut. Although you may well have a spanner that would fit. Just understand that the standard ER40 collet nut wrench does not fit the Maritool bearing nut.

Alan's tang is much nicer than mine, I had to modify the length on mine several times to get it to fit. The drawbar version of the MT3 arbor is slightly longer than the machined MT3 tanged versions, so when fabricating the tang to thread into the MT3 arbor the tang should extend no longer than 0.600".

There are several MT3 drawbar versions of the ER40 chuck holder. I ordered with the nickle plated version, I am not sure what they are currently stocking. The rated TIR is 0.0001" and they are nicely machined. Alan is correct, cheaper to buy via eBay, and the shipping charges if you order from the Shar's website is often way more.

http://www.shars.com/morse-taper-3-er40-er-collet-chuck-tool-holder
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-MT3-M...t-Chuck-Tool-Holder-0-0001-MT-3-/302018698776

20170430_151315.jpg

Back