ER40 Shank for lathe (MT3)

Curious, did you use loctite to make sure your tang would stay put? I think this tool could be useful when I want a flat bottom hole using an endmill. I always seem to get more chatter than I would like when trying to use an endmill over .25 in a drill chuck.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I did not use loctite. It has a shoulder, threads turned on my lathe for a tight fit, and is in there quite snug. Not sure if Mark used Loctite or not, so I am hoping he will answer too.

Yeap, great application in a lathe for milling flat bottom/stepped holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for Loctite unless you are considering running the spindle in reverse with left hand cutters. You can lock the tang in very securely, put the tang in the vise and the collet holder has some flats for a large wrench. End mills are great for flat bottom holes, although I do most of the material removal with twist drills. On larger holes I have MT2 and MT3 drills from 1/2" through 1 1/2". The Tang is helpful because of the large twisting forces on the arbor, but because it does not have a drawbar, the cutter can grab into the work and pull the drill/end mill forward into the piece. So I am extremely careful when boring with end mills, and mostly use them to do a finishing sizing cut or square the bottom.

One key factor that I find minimizes drill chatter is to use shorter machinist drills. I also always drill a pilot starter hole with a center drill.

Just be aware that it appears the shank's drawbar threading uses Whitworth threads. So it's likely best solution is to buy the tang from them plus they're quite inexpensive.

I've hated Whitworth threads since 1972 when I had my first British motorcycle! Still have an old Triumph and yes, I still dislike Whitworth threads.

Edit: Incorrect, DDickey points out you get a metric drawbar thread not Whitworth.

It uses 12mm-1.75 on the MT3

Stand corrected, my disdain for Whitworth sucked me in!
So be sure and buy the proper tang. They offer two here, the metric and the Whitworth.

Inkedsnip_LI.jpg

Ordered one yesterday at 8 AM. Was on my doorstep at 11 AM today. From England to WA state in 27 hrs. Impressive shipping, to say the least.
Haven't tried it yet, but it looks well made.
Mark

Mark, That's unbelievable shipping and really good to know.

How about a photo of what you got?

Here ya go. Bought a few tangs too ;)

oExOGjE.jpg

IPvO7Vp.jpg

bFV4aL2.jpg

nLnxgfD.jpg

Back