• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Extended Length End Mills

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

papermaker

Active User
I'm machining though 3" aluminum bar and the longest end mill I have is 2" so it requires 2 different set-ups. looking for a source of extended length end mills . I prefer 2 flute end mills. Any recommendations of where to buy these.

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I did a quick search on the Enco and Victor Machinery web sites. Both have a selection of two flute end mills with 3" long flutes. Do a web search on cutting tools/end mills and I'm sure you will get a lot of cutting tool vendors that have what you need.

Hope this helps,

Tom S.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
Most all of the normal industrial suppliers have them. Enco, Travers, MSC, etc. I usually just call my local tool supplier and let them track down exactly what I need.

You didn't say what diameter.........

papermaker

Active User
oops! 3/8" diameter. that seems to work the best for what I'm doing. Building a Jerry Howell Farm Boy Engine. Lots of fun so far.

GK1918

Active User
All I can say in emergency situation, call Victor Machine Exchange in NY (by phone). Example I called at 3pm and UPS was here 9AM
the next day with NO extra shipping charges, and the people there are real freindly and you are not talking to some stupid tape recorder.

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I know the owner of Victor Machinery Exchange,at least. Have been there a number of times buying thousands of dollars of files,literally. Very nice folks to deal with.

machinist18

Active User
MSC corp. has a selection of long end mills. Call 1-800 645-7270 and ask for a catalog. They're good people to deal with.

kwoodhands

Active User
I'm machining though 3" aluminum bar and the longest end mill I have is 2" so it requires 2 different set-ups. looking for a source of extended length end mills . I prefer 2 flute end mills. Any recommendations of where to buy these.
I have bought long length endmills from MSC. The ones I bought are not center cutting, found that out by accident.
mike

Andre

Active User
I have bought long length endmills from MSC. The ones I bought are not center cutting, found that out by accident.
mike
Center cutting with an extended length endmill is just asking for trouble. They tend to wobble then snap.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
Sometimes, Andre, when you are running a ramp in, or spiral in plunge routine on a CNC mill and you need the reach there isn't a lot of choice, and for that they need to be c-c. Not always for "drilling holes" like you would on a manual mill.

jbolt

Active User
Another forum member turned me on to theses for deep milling. I was getting terrible chatter from an extra long end mill. Not cheap but they work great.

ecdez

Active User
Mc-master has some with 3" length of cut.

I have one that's 2" and only use in emergencies as the chatter is horrible.

Another forum member turned me on to theses for deep milling. I was getting terrible chatter from an extra long end mill. Not cheap but they work great.
That seems like a reasonable solution. Price isn't good if you're only making one but for a short production it'd probably be worth the investment.

[6]
[5] [7]