Extended Length End Mills

I'm machining though 3" aluminum bar and the longest end mill I have is 2" so it requires 2 different set-ups. looking for a source of extended length end mills . I prefer 2 flute end mills. Any recommendations of where to buy these.

I have bought long length endmills from MSC. The ones I bought are not center cutting, found that out by accident.
mike

I have bought long length endmills from MSC. The ones I bought are not center cutting, found that out by accident.
mike

Center cutting with an extended length endmill is just asking for trouble. They tend to wobble then snap.

Sometimes, Andre, when you are running a ramp in, or spiral in plunge routine on a CNC mill and you need the reach there isn't a lot of choice, and for that they need to be c-c. Not always for "drilling holes" like you would on a manual mill.

Another forum member turned me on to theses for deep milling. I was getting terrible chatter from an extra long end mill. Not cheap but they work great.

Mc-master has some with 3" length of cut.

I have one that's 2" and only use in emergencies as the chatter is horrible.

Another forum member turned me on to theses for deep milling. I was getting terrible chatter from an extra long end mill. Not cheap but they work great.

That seems like a reasonable solution. Price isn't good if you're only making one but for a short production it'd probably be worth the investment.

Back