Fastest Man On Earth

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
In 1903 on Decoration Day bicycle racer , Western Union bike messenger and bicycle shop owner Glenn H "Hell Rider" Curtiss using a motor of his own manufacture competed and won a hill-climb and a 10 mile race and set a one mile record of 64mph {102kph}.
This 25 year old man had a need for speed and a talent for building and improving every thing he came across. The carburetor on his first motor was a tomato soup can with gauss as a wick to supply fuel through capillary action.
On the sand at Ormand Beach Florida in January 1907 using a 40 hp 269 cubic inch V-8 motor of his own design mounted in a home made frame he set a record of 136.27 mph {219.3kph} that made him the fastest man on earth.
glenn-curtiss-on-bike.jpg
GLENN_CURTISS_MUSEUM_tour151.jpg
Glenn_Curtiss_Motorcycles_5.jpg
That speed record for motorcycles stood for 20 years.
Curtiss when on to work with fellow pioneers of the time Alexander Graham Bell,Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and the Wright brothers. He turned his attention to aviation where he set many speed and distance records.His flyingboat aircraft were the first to cross the Atlantic. And planes of his helped win both world wars.
In 1911 he was granted pilots license #1 from the "Aero Club of America".His list of achievements is too long to list here.
This is one of the many men that took us from the horse and buggy to the age of flight.

Truly a first among firsts.
**G**

Hey Grump,
That is a very interesting tidbit of info.
You don't happen to be a retired History teacher? :D

Not to mention he had to have a HUGE pair to hit 136 mph on that rig. Mike

Ah, yes, the Curtiss of Curtiss Wright Aviation. Never new his history, but very familiar with his company. Man! a 269 cubic inch V8 on a "bicycle"!??! Yikes!
The rear wheel right angle drive "differential" on that thing looks a little undersized. I would have imagined a belt or chain drive.
This is about the same year that Harley Davidson was founded, and they were using a 24 cubic inch engine.
No wonder that Curtiss went into aircraft.

Thanks for the history
CHuck the grumpy old guy

Hey Grump,
That is a very interesting tidbit of info.
You don't happen to be a retired History teacher? :D
No Mike not a teacher just a student.My dad took me to the races before the track was built.My mom has the pictures. I was three years old but the memory of the sound of the cars going by with the ocean in the background kind of stuck.My name is Gator. Grumpy is just my disposition.
Not to mention he had to have a HUGE pair to hit 136 mph on that rig. Mike
I thought the same thing Mike. That man had an extra share of testicular fortitude.
Chuck, As a matter of fact the drive shaft failed on his return run but he was able to safely glide to a stop.
Among his other accomplishments :
1904 - Invented handlebar throttle control.
1908 - First Army dirigible flight with one of his motors.
1909 - First Internatonel Air Speed record 46.5mph {74.8 kph} in Rheims France.
1909 - First US licensed Aircraft manufacture.
1910 - long distance flying record 150 miles
1910 - First take off from US Navy ship.
1911 - First landing on US Navy ship.
1911 - First successful pontoon aircraft in US.
1911 - Patented Ailerons
1919 - His flying boat crosses the Atlantic Ocean.
And many more.
**G**
Information for this post was accomplished by using the following :
Curtiss Museum , Ormand Beach Historical Society , FIA {Federation Internationale De L'Automobile } LSR sanctioning body , The old motor Company , Wikipedia ,and a few more that I forgot.
***Thanks for Looking*****cartangrysj1.gif ********************************************

cartangrysj1.gif

I was born in the wrong age. I'd love to have been around for like, the first manned flight, these old motorcycles, the cool old stuff back when you could work on them under a tree. The stuff you used to be able to do, you did it and didn't get into trouble.

1910 - First take off from US Navy ship.
1911 - First landing on US Navy ship.

I would suspect there should be something between those two like
1911 - First man to fly nonstop for a year

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I like the history of Curtiss!

137 mph stood as the fastest vehicle of any type for many, many years!

Many folks had attempted to do some sort of pontoon or boat hull type landing gear for airplanes. It was Curtiss that came up with the idea of a "step" on the bottom surface of the hull/pontoon, allowing the craft to break surface tension of the water and lift off the surface.

Definately one of the great contributors.

I've been to the Glenn H. Curtis Museum in Hammondsport NY. It is a fascinating museum about a fascinating man. Well worth the time spent if you are ever in the Finger Lakes area of New York.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back