Few Pictures Of The New Pm 1440 Gt

Uncle_H

Registered
Registered
I have one of the new PM 1440 GT's on order, I received a few pics of what it looks like. I ordered it with the DRO and Premium Package and several other goodies.
P_20160705_112530_zpstdkcfj2p.jpg
P_20160705_111959_zpstduqp5pl.jpg

Awesome! Congratulations on your new lathe.

Nice! Are the first lathes here in the states yet?

Reactions: dpb
Nice! Are the first lathes here in the states yet?

No. They are currently bobbing around in the South China Sea. They wont be here until around the second week of August barring any more natural or man made disasters. :cautious:

Hi Uncle-H
Nice lathe, you should get many enjoyable hrs out of that machine.
Glad to see they put a modern gearbox on this one, no more drippy oil!!!!!!!! Do you know if it will cut a full range of threads with out change gear swapping?
The other thing I noticed is they seem to have mounted the cross slide scale on the headstock side of the carriage. Peaked my interest because with my lathe it came mounted on the tailstock side and covers the carriage lock bolt. You have to wonder about some manufactures, I suspect they never actually use what they make.
Look forward to more pics and review when it arrives
Cheers Ron

Do you know if it will cut a full range of threads with out change gear swapping?

There are 4 change gears for inch threads. Most of the common standard inch treads can be done with the same gear combination. TPI-13 being the most notable outlier which requires a gear change. The other two gears for inch threads are for threads that are not too common.

The metric threads are a mixed bag with 6 total change gears, 5 of those covering the most common metric threads.

pm1440gt thread chart.jpg
Thread-Feed-Chart.jpg

Uncle-H,

Is your lathe on the first shipment?

That gearbox arrangement looks pretty good to me.

Not too often will you be changing messy gears between the spindle and gearbox. Could someone explain to a metric lathe guy what the diagram in the top left of the change chart indicates where it has a 120 & 127 middle gears. Is this because the lathe has a metric leadscrew or is it for cutting threads on an imperial leadscrew?

Are all those with 1340gt's looking to upgrade?

Back